Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) over HDMI

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ddpguy
New Cone
New Cone

Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) over HDMI

Postby ddpguy » 17 Jul 2017 18:42

Dear Community,

I am a newbie to this forum but I could not find the solution to my problem via the search so will try like this.

Whenever I play a mkv file with Audio Codec "A/52 B Audio (aka E-AC3)" over HDMI/MiniDP, my receiver only receives stereo signal. However, it usually receives all AC3 and DTS codecs just fine through VLC. The Bluray-Player forward the Dolby Digital Plus so it does not seem to be an issue with the file or the receiver. I use VLC 2.2.6. on Win7 64bit. Did I do something wrong, is there a box I need to tick/untick?

I would be happy about any feedback. Thank you!

ddpguy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) over HDMI

Postby ddpguy » 14 Aug 2017 12:31

Solved in VLC 3.0.0 Nighlty

jezhowell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jezhowell » 29 Aug 2017 09:16

I'm having the same problem.
VLC seems to be sending DD+/e-AC3 files to my reciever as stereo.
If I use the built in windows Films & TV app the amp recieves the audio correctly, so I know it's not the files or reciever.
I tried downloading and installing the Nightly build 3.0.0, but it still doesn't work.
Any suggestions?

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 29 Aug 2017 21:02

:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

jsuln
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jsuln » 11 Oct 2017 21:45

Hello,

I have stumbled across the same problem. I use a macbook pro and I send audio + video to the TV (philips) via HDMI and from there i use the optical out to the receiver.

All formats work (dts, dd, ac3, etc .. ), EXCEPT I cannot seem to be able to play this E-AC3 in surround sound no matter what. The same file plays fine with surround sound directly from the TV, so the file is not an issue.

The internet has no advices to offer and it seems to be a VLC problem, or a general (mac osx) one.

Any solutions? Using the latest 2.2.6 version of VLC.

thanks,
Jaka

Pwubbadubbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pwubbadubbs » 24 Dec 2018 02:44

I just want to add that I have the exact same problem as jsuin. Using VLC on MAC with HDMI out to Receiver that is DDP capable. DTS and dolby all work fine for years, just this EAC3 plays in stereo only. No one is even commenting on the MAC thread of 8 pages so Im getting no help. SAD....

Pwubbadubbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pwubbadubbs » 14 Jun 2019 20:12

Like posted before, there is a thread that is 4 pages, lets make that the official support page, and everyone reading this one go there and post. If you are having issues, make an account and POST. I have had this problem for 2 years now, and just bought a new receiver and still it does not work!

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139601

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”