Help with audio

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Carolyn
New Cone
New Cone

Help with audio

Postby Carolyn » 15 Sep 2017 01:42

I have a number of xspf files I need to play (audio). Do I need to convert them to another format? I can get the files loaded into a play list but when I hit play, nothing happens.

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Help with audio

Postby VLCwin7User » 17 Sep 2017 02:32

I never heard of a .xspf file, but a quick search took me to this site.
https://www.lifewire.com/xspf-file-2622613

Here, they indicate that .xspf is not an actual audio file. It is instead a text file that functions as a playlist, pointing to the actual audio files.

So, I made one using the example shown in the article, and it played fine in VLC.

So, if they are actual .xspf files, they should be small and can be opened in notepad. If they're large, they're probably actual audio files that should have a different extension on them.

I'm thinking that the .xspf file is pointing to audio files that have been moved? If the .xspf file is a little dinky file, open it up in notepad and see if it points to actual audio files that are in the location being pointed to.

Carolyn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Carolyn » 17 Sep 2017 03:04

thanks so much. They are audio files that were likely moved. I tried to open in notepad and it didn't work. They are audio files, though. Now am seeing an extension of au.
so, the VLC help info says that VLC supports au files, but I still can't get it to open and play. I am doing something wrong, I guess. It simply won't open. Do I need to convert the file to something else like MP3? I don't know how to convert either.. ; /

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 17 Sep 2017 08:02

A .au file is as new to me as an .xspf file.
I downloaded http://www.gargaro.com/sounds/gore.au and it played in Winamp, VLC and Foobar2000.
So, I don't know about your particular variety of .au file. I would need a sample file to pursue this further, to see if it plays in any of my installed players.
I don't understand how files extensions automagically change.

Carolyn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Carolyn » 19 Sep 2017 18:05

other au files will play on vlc, but not the files I have that worked previously. they look the same. what can be wrong?

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 22 Sep 2017 17:03

Well, either VLC can't play the particular flavor of .au file, or there is something wrong with the .au files.
I played that test .au file in Winamp and that works. So, I would test the .au file in a different media player.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”