Can we enable MONO audio? (2017)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tom123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can we enable MONO audio? (2017)

Postby tom123 » 27 Jun 2017 08:50

Hi all,

VLC is such a powerful media player with many features, yet lightweight and very user friendly.

However, I've been unable to find a way to playback audio with true MONO (left and right merged into one channel) audio.

Why the need for this?

Some users may have broken speakers/headphones or simply just want to have MONO playback.

1) Is this possible ?

2) Is there a key command / shortcut to enable/disable this?

Thank you

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Can we enable MONO audio? (2017)

Postby mederi » 28 Jun 2017 11:22

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 29 Jun 2017 00:18

My notes indicate two switches that can be added to the command line.
rem --directx-audio-speaker=Mono Switch to force mono downmix Also --waveout-audio-channels=1 for wave output module
Although my audio output module is set to automatic, I think for audio it uses directX.

When I tested it in the distant past, although I have 2 speakers, both were playing the same sound, not stereo.
I think this one will work for most folks. --directx-audio-speaker=Mono

tom123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tom123 » 29 Jun 2017 20:10

Hi mederi,

Thanks for these links. I did see these before asking this question. Since these posts and similar posts about mono audio are a few years old (and technology moves quickly) I was wondering if there were any updates with mono feature availability.

I've come to the conclusion of 2 thoughts:

1) It's a technical issue making it difficult to allow for mono audio output?

2) Developers have no interest in creating this feature?

What are your thoughts about true mono audio in VLC?

tom123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tom123 » 29 Jun 2017 20:16

My notes indicate two switches that can be added to the command line.
rem --directx-audio-speaker=Mono Switch to force mono downmix Also --waveout-audio-channels=1 for wave output module
Although my audio output module is set to automatic, I think for audio it uses directX.

When I tested it in the distant past, although I have 2 speakers, both were playing the same sound, not stereo.
I think this one will work for most folks. --directx-audio-speaker=Mono
Hi VLCwin7User,

Please forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge.

So the "explain like I'm 5" version of your notes would require users to paste that code [rem --directx...] into a command line setting in VLC? (not sure how to do this but will research)

After doing so, does this switch all audio output to Mono until this line of code is removed/added back again?

My goal would be to toggle between Mono and Stereo with a shortcut, For example: Ctrl + .

Thank you

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 30 Jun 2017 00:48

The command would be:
vlc.exe --directx-audio-speaker=Mono
Just tested it. My audio output module in preferences is set to automatic, and I put this parameter and it works.
That means my audio is defaulting to the directX module. The audio output module can be set specifically to directX

That "rem" is because I copied my note from a batch file, where I keep a couple of parameters to start VLC with.

I don't know how to set the mono in preferences so that a parameter to vlc wouldn't be necessary.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”