Weird issues with VLC & Flash for last week

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
_Melk_
New Cone
New Cone

Weird issues with VLC & Flash for last week

Postby _Melk_ » 18 Dec 2014 01:23

Hi all,

First time poster, long time user :)

System:
Win7 x64 Ultimate
2600k, GTX780, Logitech G110, G500s.

Steps Taken:
1) Uninstalled both VLC & Flash completely
2) reinstalled VLC (before Flash & tried it a few times without it, no differences)
3) reinstalled Flash
4) repaired the Codecs using MS tool on their website
5) ran sfc /scannow without any errors
6) ran Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, AVast, TDSKiller. (Clean all)

Theories as to when/why this started:
1) The same day Flash updated itself AND the same day Windows did it's large update (10th of Dec 2014).

NOTE: I ** never ** had those problems before. This is a first time for me (retired computer programmer & technician as a hobby)

Problems:
1) VLC: Crashes now after playing normally for a few minutes... moving my mouse makes it crash to desktop (CTD) (I can move the mouse normally when I start a video... but after some minutes, moving the mouse crashes VLC to the desktop)
2) VLC: Another form of bug is it will freeze slowly over time... it plays well for a few minutes, then the images start freezing, unfreezing, until it stops completely... sounds keeps playing for a few seconds though.

When VLC crashes, it leaves an icon in the tray which will go away is I move the mouse over it.
Note that I have NO event viewer events showing for these crashes.

For those interested in Flash bug (started at the same time), I can play Videos in Firefox no problems, but after a time, flash will stop responding... sometimes while continuing playing, most of the time by stopping playing... Firefox keeps working though, but I have to exit completely & return to have it work for more then 10 minutes at a time.

Again, new issues that started the same day as the Win Update & my update of Flash.

** Any ** input will be appreciated.. so thx in advance :)

/cheers

P.S. Just tried playing a .wmv file within Media Player and the same issues showed up :( -- means it's something related to codecs I assume... I'll start reading up on this (not too familiar with the inner workings of Windows concerning codecs).

Loganix
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Weird issues with VLC & Flash for last week

Postby Loganix » 04 Mar 2015 13:35

Hey,

I'm having similar issues as you are describing, but it seems to be linked with when flash is being played.
VLC is prone to crash whenever i try to play a video file during the same time as flash such as youtube or
similar is running in Firefox. Same thing happens with XBMC and Windows Media Player. Though when i
changed Video Output to OpenGL in VLC it seems stable and not crashing. I've also never had these issue
before, but my system is new. So i did a fresh install of Win7 Ultimate x64 and did all the updates. And
when you mentioned the latest update made me thinking that this might have something to do with it.

Did you ever find any solution? Think I'm just gonna reinstall windows and skip the latest update and
see if this will do any good.

Been a while since you posted, hope it all worked out for you,maybe you have some leads?
otherwise try changing Video Output to OpenGL and see if it works as a temp fix :)

My system:

i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Asus Z97-Pro Wi-Fi AC
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 4GB

//Logan

highwayrob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby highwayrob » 28 Jun 2015 20:51

Yes this issues has been around for over a decade and flash sucks. That being said one of the longer threads ;
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 0&start=60

was closed and I wanted to share a resolution that I found. It's more of a work-around
Long story short, it makes zero sense, but flash videos in any browser seem to just freeze, and waiting any amount of time does nothing. If you move the mouse cursor, even a little bit, the video resumes for a short period.
Caches have been cleared, re-installs, new OSes etc, everything under the sun.
No solution found and most threads close or expire.

Solution:
Run a free , small , exe program called "Move Mouse".
https://movemouse.codeplex.com/

Does exactly that. I set mine to 1 second move mouse and now I can leave the cursor over top the video and it never freezes!

Made an account just to post this as it's been driving me crazy on multiple systems for years!
-Spoutinwyze

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jul 2015 12:38

Stupid. Just use VLC to play Youtube.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

eddiepunch
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eddiepunch » 20 May 2017 11:40

Since yesterday, 20.05.2017 both VLC and Flash won't run on my WIN 7 Laptop.
Never happened before
ACE Player will run but acestream links will not open
VLC runs for ca. half a second and stops.

I've reinstalled them both and upgraded Firefox but no positive result at all
Firefox gives the "a web page is slowing down your browser firefox" message
My payTV site won't run, Youtube and Facebook vids load but won't play

Because both players have the same problem, it could be a Windows 7 issue?
Any ideas ? Is there a "video cache" that needs to be emptied.

And all this on WTA Tennis Semi Finals / Finals Weekend !

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”