VLC video postprocessing very bad quality.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

VLC video postprocessing very bad quality.

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2005 01:35

Why can we not play files through ffdshow?

What does VLC use to play the video?

It is such a shame the post processing quality is so very inferior when compared to ffdshow.

Just open any (any) divx or xvid in ffdshow+Bsplayer and then in VLC. The difference is plain. Using ffdshow postprocessing +sharpening is very much better.

Also the sound, on faint divx's when you turn up the sound to max it just isn't enough, but with BSPlayer I don't know what the difference is, maybe mixer or normalisation setting, it is just that bit louder that it's useable.

It is such a shame I prefer to use VLC but I cannot because of the quality.

Are there any work arounds?

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 11 Dec 2005 17:15

Hello,

Did you try to enable postprocessing in VLC (in the Video menu). It uses ffmpeg post-processing algorithms, like ffdshow, so the quality should just be the same.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2005 20:21

Yes setting 6.

It makes almost no difference on my system. But if I use ffdshow and the default mplayer postprocessing with accurate deblocking and use the sharpen option the results are much better.

I don't know that much about the technics, but isn't it so that if I want to play a video (say xvid) with a video player, then that video player can choose the codec to play it?

What prevents me from letting VLC decode my xvid using ffdshow, can someone tell me?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”