DJI 4K video don't play on VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
FlyHigh
New Cone
New Cone

DJI 4K video don't play on VLC

Postby FlyHigh » 07 Apr 2017 15:59

Hi all,
This is common problem I've read on DJI forums. Even quite powerful i7 SSD PC don't play DJI Inspire / Phantom 4K 100Mbps bitrate video properly. By slowing speed to 0.67 it plays smooth on my PC. Media Player Classic (k-lite codecs) runs smooth but I definitely would like to use VLC. My VLC is 2.2.4 and Windows 7 64 bit.
Is there change that developer checks what could be done to play these videos properly? I could provide test material from DJI X4S camera.
Thanks!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: DJI 4K video don't play on VLC

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Apr 2017 12:58

You can try with VLC 3.0.0 nightly build.

And set it to use DXVA:
Tools -> Preferences -> Video
Output = Automatic

Tools -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs
Hardware accelerated decoding = DXVA 2.0

Then save, exit and restart VLC.

If it doesn't help then open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback, and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

Also upload a short sample of a problematic file to either Zippyshare.com (200 MB max) or to EmbedUpload.com, the latter will upload the file for you to several other hosts (use the default ones) and then post the link to the file here.

If needed cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57724&p=193335#p193335
50 MB max should be enough.

FlyHigh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FlyHigh » 08 Apr 2017 16:22

Thanks for instructions!
I did as instructed and also some additional tests. Best results I got by using latest nightly build (just downloaded) and by setting Skip H264 in-loop deblocking filter: ALL
DXVA 2.0 perhaps made video playback different but not smooth. I tried various videos and noticed longer ones do play worse. Therefore I'm uploading full videos to Dropbox. These are deleted in some weeks so take your time to download them. Logs are in Dropbox too. Longer video is still uploading:
Video 1: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/msrxv6v4yrvy ... T0b0a?dl=0
Video 2 (longer): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbvqpqcg3atd ... OKzKa?dl=0

This computer is CAD computer and has ATI Firepro V3800 graphics card. i7-3770K processor and 6 Gigs DDR3. I tried SSD and normal harddrive.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Apr 2017 17:05

I asked for SHORT samples, 50 MB maximum.
The first one is already more than 10 times bigger. Please, cut them. Read my post again.

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 20 Apr 2017 02:57

The 4K video playback with VLC has strict requirements on the computer's processor and graphics chip. Sometimes, even if your computer meets the requirements, you may find that 4K video plays back choppy. This is due to the immense processing power required to play 4K. You can fix this issue by enabling the GPU accelerated decoding feature in VLC, this feature in theory uses the processing power of the graphic card to lighten the load on the processor of the system.

However, according to VLC's GPU decoding page, this feature is only available for H.264 streams. In addition, as the data is decoded in the GPU at the decoding stage and then transferred back to the player so that the other stages, filtering and streaming for instance, can be processed, this process can under under circumstances be slower than without gpu acceleration enabled. What's more, the VLC GPU decoding is only available for select operating systems. While Windows Vista and newer versions of the Microsoft operating system are supported, Windows XP is not at this point in time. The majority of graphic cards should support hardware acceleration just fine. Make sure you have installed the latest drivers though.

How to enable hardware acceleration in VLC?

Open VLC Media Player and click on Tools > Preferences or press Ctrl-P to open the settings window of the program. If you are using the simple settings interface, click on Input & Codecs on the left sidebar and check the Use GPU accelerated decoding box there.

If you are using the "all" interface select Input/Codecs > Video Codecs > FFmpeg > Hardware decoding instead to enable acceleration this way.

Click on the save button afterwards and restart the media player to work with the new setting. Try playing several video files to see if hardware acceleration makes a difference in terms of playback. If it does, keep the setting enabled. If it does not, just go back to the settings to uncheck the option again.

ePractical
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ePractical » 28 Nov 2017 16:43

Since this still remains a problem, I thought it might be useful to mention that the Standard Windows Media Player running under Windows 10 runs my DJI Mavic Pro 4K Video just fine with no special tweaks or changes - just tested it on a Mac Air booted to Win 10.

Might I suggest looking at what they are doing and then for ex include a 4K video check in Preferences to do similar settings or use a new Codec etc.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Nov 2017 13:38

And we are still waiting for some SHORT samples.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”