Windows 10 won't play dvd

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dougibrahim
New Cone
New Cone

Windows 10 won't play dvd

Postby dougibrahim » 17 Jun 2016 02:25

I've searched all over and found that the best solution for Windows 10 removing the media player is to use VLC but I've always used VLC and everything was fine until the upgrade to windows 10 and now VLC won't play videos. I get the same error as noted elsewhere in this forum VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details. No one seems to have posted any replies to solve it. I've deleted the VLC folder in appdata folder. I've reset videolan preferences and cache files but still get the same error. Anyone have a solution for this yet???

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Windows 10 won't play dvd

Postby jayR » 17 Jun 2016 06:47

When you open dvd, from "Open Media" dialog window, enter "D:\" for "Disc Device". If your DVD drive is not "D", change it accordingly.

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Windows 10 won't play dvd

Postby Nephele » 09 Feb 2017 08:52

VLC is one of the free software DVD players that ignores DVD region coding on RPC-1 firmware drives, making it a region free player. However, it does not do the same on RPC-2 firmware drives, as in these cases the region coding is enforced by the drive itself, however, it can still brute-force the CSS encryption to play a play a foreign-region DVD on an RPC-2 drive.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”