Unable to have 50/50 Screen Display of 2 VLC Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dolphinwigs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Unable to have 50/50 Screen Display of 2 VLC Windows

Postby dolphinwigs » 28 Jan 2017 00:02

FYI I am using windows 8.1 pro.

Hi, I am having an issue. I want to play two videos using VLC player. With any other program I can open one then drag the window to the left or right side and it will "snap" to fully open and taking up have of the screen on either side (vertically). Usually this means that if I do this on both sides I then have 2 program windows that each take up half of the screen vertically. Very useful for Windows Explorer (File Explorer) and I'm sure pretty much everyone does this. BUT, today I tried to do this with 2 vlc player windows and instead of an even 50/50 vertical split on my screen they are instead overlapping in the middle of the screen. It looks more like a 60/40 split. VLC won't even allow me to resize one of the windows to half of the screen. 60% is as far as it will let itself be sized. I don't have this issue with any other player that I know of. Media Player Classic works just fine. I have not encountered a program before that won't let you have two open windows sized to take up half of the screen each. Even using the right-click on taskbar option for "Show windows side by side" will it set the each to half of the screen. They always overlap each other depending on the one I click on (which gets moved to the top and is then partially covering the other VLC's video window). I have google all around the internet and looked at forums with no one even asking or mentioning this.

How can I fix this?

Is this normal? If so, why would this particular program be the only one that won't let me resize the window to less than 60% of the screen? I like being able to have a 50/50 display to compare things.

Thanks. I have tried everything I can find/think of and now as a last resort came here hoping someone could enlighten me. This doesn't happen with other video players. I don't see a valid reason that this feature would be restricted for this player.

dolphinwigs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Unable to have 50/50 Screen Display of 2 VLC Windows

Postby dolphinwigs » 31 Jan 2017 06:12

Anyone out there have any idea about this? VLC seems like the only program where you can't drag it to the left or the right side of the screen to have it auto-fit to half of the screen (vertical half on the side you drag it to). Why or what is causing it to have to overlap past the 50% of the screen mark when all other video players that I have used do not do this. I don't see a reason or an advantage to this, so how do I fix it?

Thanks.

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 31 Jan 2017 09:57

Hi,

I have tested it with the version 2.2.4 under Windows 10. Both windows are displayed in a 50 to 50 ratio.
This is possible horizontally and vertically through the context menu.
If this is different for you, you have a problem with Windows, not with the VLC.

dolphinwigs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dolphinwigs » 31 Jan 2017 19:24

I wonder if it is because I am using windows 8.1 pro instead of Windows 10? I could've sworn it wasn't like this before. Anyone know if there is an option in VLC that enables this? Since VLC is the only program that this is happening with and not Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic (or Home Cinema).

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 01 Feb 2017 00:31

In my attempts, the video was integrated into the interface. The automatic scaling I have with both possibilities tested, activated and not activated. If the automatic scale is not activated, the larger window is trimmed.

I have also tested it with the videos in its own window. The interface windows I have minimized.

In all cases, the VLC windows were displayed correctly in a 50 to 50 ratio.

dolphinwigs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dolphinwigs » 02 Feb 2017 01:12

In my attempts, the video was integrated into the interface. The automatic scaling I have with both possibilities tested, activated and not activated. If the automatic scale is not activated, the larger window is trimmed.

I have also tested it with the videos in its own window. The interface windows I have minimized.

In all cases, the VLC windows were displayed correctly in a 50 to 50 ratio.

Which option are you taking about when you say automatic scaling? Always Fit Window, Zoom, Crop, or Aspect Ratio? If it is another option, maybe in the preferences menu, which one would it be (category and option). If I know that then I can find and change it. Thank you by the way. I am using VLC player 2.2.4 in Windows 8.1 Pro.

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 02 Feb 2017 12:13

Menu -> Tools -> Preferences -> All -> Video -> Video Auto Scaling

dolphinwigs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dolphinwigs » 11 Feb 2017 09:14

Didn't work for me. Turning off Video Auto Scaling only made it so that when the window was opened when part of it was off of the screen or anything similar that the video shifted partially out of the VLC player window, so you basically can't see the part of the video picture.

Thanks thought. I appreciate the effort you put out to help me find a solution.

dolphinwigs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dolphinwigs » 28 Mar 2017 01:44

Anyone else able to assist with this issue? I have still not found a solution.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”