VLC very slow to start

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
smarty123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC very slow to start

Postby smarty123 » 08 Jan 2017 11:23

I assume that too, but it is nothing special with MY vlcrc since it occurs only when using vlc 3.0.0 and estimated since the time when vlc 2.2.4 was released.

just to clarify: When i delete vlcrc and then reboot gui first start of the gui is fast, creating a new vlcrc and asking for the 2 checkboxes update etc. After next reboot gui is slow again.
So i think something changed in 3.0.0 regarding the vlcrc that causes a "pull the brake" effect on 2nd startup even after a new vlcrc is created.

BTW: plugins.dat is always untouched after once being created with running vlc-cache-gen.exe <pathtovlc>\plugins. it keeps the installation date.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Jan 2017 15:27

Then interrupt VLC under a debugger while it is stuck, and file a bug.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

smarty123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby smarty123 » 19 Jan 2017 15:11

uhm sorry. im not a programmer. Dunno how. If i could enable logging and provide you with a log file just give me a hint how to enable it...

Since the "save playlist" is broken on builds after dec 18 im stuck with the build before anyway...

atsukoarai86
New Cone
New Cone

Postby atsukoarai86 » 22 May 2017 23:07

I'm running Windows 10 now and VLC takes literally hours to start. I tried to open a file near bed time and literally 10 hours later it suddenly opened. I have tried everything - EVERYTHING - talked about in this thread. I have no idea what the problem is. Was this issue ever resolved?

atsukoarai86
New Cone
New Cone

Postby atsukoarai86 » 25 May 2017 00:33

Well, as it turns out, I uninstalled VLC and downloaded the 64 BIT installer and now it seems to work just fine. Cheers.

SpiritShadow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SpiritShadow » 16 Oct 2018 18:47

I turned off the "Automatically Preparse Files" option under "Playlist" settings and this fixed the problem for me. VLC now comes up instantly. Previously took 30-45 seconds.

Preferences > Show Settings (All) > Playlist > Automatically Preparse Files (off)

darkbyte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby darkbyte » 13 Mar 2020 23:34

Hi I tried this on my windows 7 and it worked on VLC 3.0.8 in 2020!!!, this answer from 2013 wowhoo! :roll:
DB.
I have had this problem ever since installing Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

It didn't matter weather I opened a video file or opened vlc directly it would still take a good few minutes to start. I tried all suggestions but none worked for me, so I tried looking at the compatibility mode options, I tried running vlc as administrator and the UAC prompt appeared, I clicked yes and vlc started straight away, which seems to point to a permissions issue.

I did the following and it has worked for me.

Go to - C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
right click the vlc application and click properties
click the security tab
click advanced
Change the owner to yourself ( in my case home\Tom )
click ok and close all dialog boxes
then...
right click the vlc application and click properties again
click the security tab again
click edit
highlight your account name
check the allow full control box
click apply
close all dialog boxes

vlc now starts straight away for me, my problem seemed to be related to the fact that my account didn't have full rights to the player which is weird since i have only one account on my pc which is a local admin.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”