Reload file?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
blackritus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Reload file?

Postby blackritus » 11 Jan 2017 22:57

Hi!
  1. I'm playing a video from an external drive and pause it or stop it. The player will be kept open.
  2. I unplug the external drive.
  3. I plug in the external drive, it maintains the exact same filepath/drive letter.
--> The file can not be continued or reloaded. There's a reading error: "Bad file descriptor"

It's not even important to get the exact play position again, but I don't want to navigate through the external drive again to get to the file.
Is there a possibility to reload the file? The error gives only the options "delete" and "close", not retry.

Actually I think if I press play it should automatically try and search for the file under that path.

Am I missing something?
Greets,
Blackritus
--------------------
VLC 2.2.4, german localization
Windows 8.1

blubricks
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Reload file?

Postby blubricks » 25 Jan 2017 03:10

I've been having the same problem, though I believe the proper solution woul be to make it stop happening in the first place. I am having the problem on Windows 7, though I could check if it happes on Linux/Fedora as well. It goes like this. I'm watching a movie on VLC from a networked hard drive, Western Digital My Book. I will pause the movie, then come back and hit play. The movie will play through its cache, the stop with the error "can't read file" "bad descriptor". Continuing to hit play, or double clicking the movie in the playlist does nothing. Nor can I simply click the movie in windows explorer. It will not start until I renavigate at a higher point in the folder and drill down to the movie I was playing. I can then FF to just before the moment it stopped and play uninterrupted.

I am wondering if it is a cache problem. I don't see any network loss. This does not happen with Windows Media Player.

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 25 Jan 2017 12:03

Why remove a drive and then plug it back in?

I have tested it with me under Windows 10 and VLC 2.2.4 / 32Bit:

- I'm playing a video from an external drive and pause it or stop it.
- The player will be kept open.
- I unplug the external drive.
- I plug in the external drive.

Now I can play with the VLC all the objects shown in the playlist.

blackritus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blackritus » 25 Jan 2017 12:19

Why remove a drive and then plug it back in?
I sometimes need to do this in terms of cable management / relocating the USB-Hub after a backup. Or simply finish watching a movie in bed instead of my desk.
The problem was worse with my old laptop, which had a loose contact and it accidentially sometimes "unplugged itself".
I guess there could be more reasons, but that's way enough for me.
Now I can play with the VLC all the objects shown in the playlist.
That does the trick! You need to open the playlist!
I usually don't use the playlist at all. Unpausing or playing gives an error, but double clicking in the playlist works. Thanks!

For convenience reasons I'd then suggest a feature which allows you to retry loading the file if you get the bad file descriptor error or automatic search under that previous path if a video is unpaused.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”