Autoplay from link in IE?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Ultimist

Autoplay from link in IE?

Postby Ultimist » 23 Nov 2005 13:27

I would like to set up VLC to automatically begin downloading and playing a video link that I click on in Internet Explorer.

I am not sure how to do this.

I associated mpg, avi, and wmv files with VLC, but now IE tries to download them first, instead of directly streaming them to VLC. There are certain videos I'd like to preview before deciding to download the whole file.

Is there a way to make it so that when I click on a link in IE, it automatically begins streaming in VLC?

Thanks

Ultimist

Re: Autoplay from link in IE?

Postby Ultimist » 24 Nov 2005 12:51

I guess I should mention that I'm running Windows XP SP2.

mpg's and wmv's used to automatically start streaming in windows media player, until I installed VLC, so I know it must be possible to get them to automatically stream into VLC as well.

Anyone?

Ultimist

Postby Ultimist » 05 Dec 2005 01:59

Just checking again if anyone has the answer to my problem...

I want to stream files directly from the web into VLC from IE, without having to download them with IE first. Is it possible?

nielm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nielm » 05 Dec 2005 13:32

use playlists/metafiles..

Link to a playlist in the web page, and then open the downloaded playlist in VLC...

MSDN article explaining why

guestaaaa

How to mke vln default video player for IE?

Postby guestaaaa » 17 Jan 2006 22:50

Same query - but didn't understand the response.
How do I make vln the default player for viedos on internet pages? I'm using internet explorer, and like the person who posted this query, I'm on windows XP sp2. I've changed the file association in explorer, but clicking links in IE still throws up a (non- functioning) windows media player.

joebb3

Postby joebb3 » 19 Jan 2006 01:27

I have the exact same question... Here's a little more on the problem...

With WMP, I could click on a link to an mpg file and WMP would open automatically and the video would play while it was downloading.

I would like to know if there is a way to get VideoLan to do the same thing... I have all forms of MPG assoc to VideoLan but when I click on a link to the MPG, I get the typical Open / Save / Cancel dialog... If I choose open, VLC tries to download the entire file BEFORE playing it. I want it to play WHILE downloading it.

Recently WMP broke, so I was hoping VLC would fill the void.

Joe
WinXP SP2

Postby Guest » 19 Jan 2006 09:19

There was an msdn link in my reply...

Example: You have a file at:

Code: Select all

/webserver/webroot/videos/video.avi
This is accessible over the web using:

http://server/videos/video.avi
To get VLC to stream it with one click, create a playlist file called

/webserver/webroot/videos/video.m3u
containing a link to the video file

#EXTM3U #EXTINF:-1,Tile of video file http://server/videos/video.avi
Now provide a link to that m3u file in the web page:

http://server/videos/video.m3u
When you click that link, the webserver downloads the small m3u file, and you open it with VLC. VLC then opens the video link which is embedded in the playlist file, and will attempt to playback while streaming the video.

Cyb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cyb » 11 Mar 2007 16:29

I have the same problem.

It has nothing to do with playlists where Guest is talking about.

What we want is simply the behaviour that Windows Media Player has when you click on a simple plain link of a WMV file in Internet Explorer.

For example this link:
http://www.megaheks.nl/euroco/2ebbq1.wmv

When you click on that link with the default XP/IE/WMP settings, IE will immediately (WITHOUT downloading the whole file) launch WMP and start playing the movie while WMP downloads/buffers the file in the background (while playing). That is exactly what we want but then for VLC instead of WMP.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Mar 2007 21:33

Most servers download a playlist either M3U or ASX and the files start the associated program and stream through the use of this playlist which also tell the program the type of streaming to use. However, VLC has a problem of a link referring to another link and may refuse to play. Also the plugin has the supported formats hard coded and in a few cases the method of streaming is not fully supported. Hopefully these issues will be corrected in future releases of VLC.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”