How to have different "setups" for the different features of VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SP1200
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SP1200 » 04 Dec 2016 09:29

I have my VLC configured in the perfect way for watching multiple videos at once on multiple monitors.
I have spent some time fine tuning VLC to play multiple vids just the way I like it.

However when I want to perform a specific feature; such an combine multiple vids into one...or to set VLC to screenshot every 10 seconds...it involves changing my config settings.
Most of the time whenever I do this, the feature I'm trying to do doesn't work because of my complicated settings. So If I want to do something special for a project I have to factory reset my config file, set config to perform the project I want it to do....then later load my settings back by dropping my backed up VLCRC settings file back into the VLC folder.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Like for example is it possible to have multiple copies of VLC installed on one system but in different folders, and set each separate installation to be configured for specific projects only?

Or is having one install but keeping several copies of the VLCRC settings file already setup for each job?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: How to have different "setups" for the different features of VLC

Postby Lotesdelere » 04 Dec 2016 14:11

is having one install but keeping several copies of the VLCRC settings file already setup for each job?
Yes you can do that and/or you can use a specific configuration file by running VLC with the --config switch:

Code: Select all

--config=<path\string>

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”