VLC and Blu-ray screencaps: ratio issue

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC and Blu-ray screencaps: ratio issue

Postby MacEachaidh » 30 Nov 2016 01:41

Hi folks,
I'm hoping someone can clear up some confusion I have with screencaps made in VLC from Blu-rays.

I'm running VLC 2.2.4 on Windows 7 x64, using a Samsung LED display stated as 1920 x 1080. I have no issues running Blu-rays and capturing screen images. Typically, I open VLC to fullscreen, then take the capture using the command in VLC. I use this image to calculate the Blu-ray's image ratio.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the resulting image be 1920 x 1080? Some of that may be black matting, depending on the Blu-ray's screen ratio, but the image should still be 1920 x 1080, no?

What I don't understand is that it isn't. The image I get is always 1920 x 1090.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Is the image being vertically stretched somehow, either by my display/GPU or by VLC? If I open the image, resize it (as distinct from cropping) to 1080 height, and then calculate the actual image ratio, shouldn't that work correctly?

Thanks for any comments.

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC and Blu-ray screencaps: ratio issue

Postby MacEachaidh » 05 Dec 2016 10:20

Sorry to bump this, but I suspect once a post gets too far down the list, it's going to keep getting missed.

Does anyone have any ideas, please, on how to make sense of this issue?

Many thanks.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Dec 2016 14:26

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 05 Dec 2016 16:17

Ah, I see. Thanks for that, Lotesdelere! ;-)

I couldn't see how it might be anything I was doing ...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”