AMD Athlon XP 4200 dual core - Full HD videos stuttering

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Toxidious
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

AMD Athlon XP 4200 dual core - Full HD videos stuttering

Postby Toxidious » 08 Oct 2016 03:08

Hi.

Have an old computer that had an AMD Athlon XP 3500, I upgraded that old one with an slightly newer one - a AMD Athlon XP 4200 Dual core. I was hoping to be able to play full HD videos directly without stuttering.

The video files is MTS files from a regular handheld camera. I have put the video files on first partition on a 250 Gb hardrive - so the problem is not likely to be caused by a bad disk (I've tried with other hdd in same computer, no difference).

I did some benchmark with 7-zip. It turns out that the performance is pretty much the same (variance is negligible) when running old CPU compared when running on the Athlon 4200 - forced to computate using a single core.

After using e.g. Handbrake to convert the videos to 1600x900 (h264, sound quality not changed) - the computer have no issues regarding to stuttering playback.
My theory is that the CPU simply does not have enough capacity to play full-hd videos.

Therefore my question - How can I (if possible) tweak VLC so that it uses less resources (cpu) in order to play video files on that computer?

Thanks in advance

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: AMD Athlon XP 4200 dual core - Full HD videos stuttering

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Oct 2016 16:09

On Vista or higher you can use DXVA2 hardware acceleration.
Otherwise there is not much you can do.

Toxidious
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: AMD Athlon XP 4200 dual core - Full HD videos stuttering

Postby Toxidious » 09 Oct 2016 23:14

Yea - it's an old XP computer (not connected to internet, so security is not a big issue).

Also the graphic card is from around 2005, so I doubt DXVA2 will ever work on that computer.

I'm not using deinterlacking either.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”