VLC - Contrast Ratio looks a lot worse than WMP. Why?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Spellbinder2050
New Cone
New Cone

VLC - Contrast Ratio looks a lot worse than WMP. Why?

Postby Spellbinder2050 » 29 Aug 2016 21:50

I'm using "VLC 2.1.3 Rincewind," according to the about info, on Windows 7. I've noticed a contrast problem while looking at several DVD & Bluray rips in AVI format. VLC always has this white glow over anything black or dark. Windows Media Player looks a lot clearer, even without any added codecs. Here's a picture showing an example:

Notice that the WMP's blacks look blacker. What is causing this? Is there a way to fix this issue? Is this just the standard quality for VLC's codecs?

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this.

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: VLC - Contrast Ratio looks a lot worse than WMP. Why?

Postby jayR » 31 Aug 2016 00:28

Quality of video and audio differs amongst different media players. I have about 10 different media players. I found WMP has the best audio quality. But it doesn't support DVD anymore. So I use VLC for playing DVDs because it has the best audio quality amongst DVD playing media players. Digital media players are supposed to have same audio and video quality. But in reality, it isn't.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”