VLC hangs after opening Capture Device

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Crispin

VLC hangs after opening Capture Device

Postby Crispin » 29 Nov 2005 15:17

Has anyone else had problems with VLC.EXE hanging once you open a Directshow device? It seems to be related to the video device since it still hangs when audio device is set to "none". Both my "Icam320" and "Hauppauge PVR WinTV PCI II.." cause the problem.

All drivers and DirectX are up to date. This happened with VLC for the last few versions, including 0.8.4. Also when it hangs it hangs hard, I can't kill the VLC.EXE process. The machine has to be hard restarted to kill it.

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 29 Nov 2005 22:56

For your first question, yes, many people have reported this type of problems.

Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to find the cause of these. Basically, it means there is a bug in the driver, and VLC triggers the bug, while other applications don't.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 30 Nov 2005 16:45

I have made some modifications to the direct show code, which may help solving some of those crash issues.
could people - experiencing those crashes - try the following nightly build:

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 1130-0000/

and report (please indicate what capture device you are using)

Crispin

Postby Crispin » 01 Dec 2005 03:52

That seemed to do the trick. I was able to close VLC after opening both the PrimaScan iCam320 and the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150.

It still crashed Windows if I tried to use the iCam320 without specifying a resolution, but that's another thread.

Thanks!

Crispin

Postby Crispin » 01 Dec 2005 15:28

I spoke too soon. I set up VLC to stream my icam320 and it allowed me to stop and close the VLC window, but VLC.EXE kept running and can't be killed. Right now I'm remotely connected to the computer so I have no way of rebooting it, but let me know what you need for more info.

Postby Guest » 02 Dec 2005 11:37

I have a similar problem. Also Default causes it. VLC doesn't terminate after I select a capture device and stays active even after I try to kill it using Task Manager. Only a reboot will kill it! I have a number of capture devices. If I restart VLC I then get a new instance of it. I am using 0.8.4 I shall try the 0.8.5 link you gave - after the inevitable reboot.

Postby Guest » 02 Dec 2005 12:16

I didn't mention that a hard reboot is necessary, as VLC doesn't even terminate, under the circumstances I described, when one shuts the computer or logs off. In addition, I notice that Internet Explorer also hangs at this point, preventing me from following a link or closing it down. I downloaded & installed the 0.8.5 version, but it hasn't helped at all. I can give further details of my configuration, if requested.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”