How to enable subtitles by default?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tl7
New Cone
New Cone

How to enable subtitles by default?

Postby tl7 » 09 Jul 2016 20:09

How to I set my subtitle preferences so any subtitles available are displayed by default if there are subtitles available (either internal to the video container file or as an external file? The subtitles are 'picked up' by VLC but they are always set to 'disabled'.

I've tried various combinations of values in the 'Subtitle track' and 'Subtitle track ID' fields (-1, 0, 1, 2) with no success. What am I doing wrong? Please explain how this can be configured? Is there another setting that is prerequisite to setting subtitles to be enabled by default (if available)?

tl7
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How to enable subtitles by default?

Postby tl7 » 16 Jul 2016 21:29

OK - my original post is seven days old with 125 views but no responses or suggestions. Perhaps someone can explain how VLC implements and prioritizes subtitles associations with the track/trackID fields. I get the search path and 'fuzzy' filename settings. It seems to me that there is robust subtitle functionality available in VLC but it is harder than necessary to configure. Or am I missing something obvious here?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 17 Jul 2016 13:06

It's working fine for me.
What is your VLC version ?
What is the format of your subtitles and videos ?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 18 Jul 2016 14:45

Subtitles track [0]
Subtitle language []
Subtitles track ID [-1]

tl7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tl7 » 23 Jul 2016 21:08

Mederi's post on 18'Jul seems to be working for me to enable subtitles. The only caveat I've found is that when using an external subtitle file it must reside either in the same folder as the video file itself or in the first folder listed in the VLC preference 'subtitle autodetection paths' - it does not seem to work when the subtitle file resides in a second (or subsequent) folders. This condition contributed to my original 'problem'.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”