Audio Levels Out of Control

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
johnmeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Audio Levels Out of Control

Postby johnmeyer » 27 Jun 2016 22:31

I just upgraded to 2.2.4 and the audio of some video files (H.264/MP4, HDV MPEG-2) files has been boosted beyond clipping, and stays this way no matter what I do. On some older files, like DV AVI video, the audio is perfectly normal.

Things I have tried:

1. Uninstalling and re-installing. I deleted all preferences on both the uninstall and re-install. No change.

2. Resetting my sound card. I have a SoundBlaster Xi-Fi card, and I reset it. No change.

3. Trying other media players. The same video files play just fine in my earlier (version 1.1.11) VLC and continue to play just fine in Windows Media Player and MP-HC.

My conclusion is that this release is fundamentally broken.

I'll try some earlier versions instead, or perhaps just switch to another player. It looks like VLC may have lost its way. Too bad, because it has been a great piece of software. I really feel cheated because I just contributed $5 when I downloaded this version. That was obviously a mistake that I will not make again.

johnmeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Audio Levels Out of Control

Postby johnmeyer » 27 Jun 2016 23:15

Quick update:

I started downloading earlier versions of VLC. While I didn't do a binary search to find the exact version where this bug crept in, and did verify that the bug existed in 2.2.2, but is not present in 2.0.8. So, somewhere between those two versions is where this problem got added. I'll keep using 2.0.8 for now because my ancient 1.1.11 version was having problems coping with newer formats.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”