Command-line wallpaper mode problems...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
abvgd
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Command-line wallpaper mode problems...

Postby abvgd » 14 Jan 2015 20:45

When I set a video to wallpaper mode via the GUI (right-click->Set as Wallpaper), I always automatically get the same video appearance as in non-wallpapered mode... The video is automatically resized to fill as much of the desktop area as possible and if the aspect ratio is different from that of the desktop area, then the video is centered on the desktop with black bars added on both sides of the video.

Now, when I start the same video in wallpaper mode via the command-line interface using this command:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --qt-start-minimized --video-wallpaper --no-video-title-show --repeat "C:\Downloads\Tutorial.mp4"
...VLC doesn't resize the video to fill the entire desktop area but it simply puts it at the upper left corner of the desktop in its original video size, leaving the rest of the original desktop area visible and usable. OTOH, if the original video size happens to be greater than the desktop area, then VLC does seem to resize the video to make it fit - but again positioning the resulting video size on the upper left corner of the desktop area and leaving some desktop area visible and usable to the right by not centering the video nor adding black bars to compensate for the difference in aspect ratio.

So, how can I make the command-line wallpaper mode behave like the GUI wallpaper mode? I've tried adding additional arguments to the above command-line call such as "--width=1366 --height=768" or "--width 1366 --height 768" but the resulting video on the desktop area is unaffected and always remains the same.

My desktop area with no video wallpaper:

My desktop area with video wallpaper set via the GUI (as I want it to look):

My desktop area with video wallpaper set via the command-line (as I do not want it to look):

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Command-line wallpaper mode problems...

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Jan 2015 10:20

It's a known bug, I think. Not sure anyone filed it on the bugtracker, though.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

abvgd
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Command-line wallpaper mode problems...

Postby abvgd » 14 Jun 2016 21:09

Just thought I'd mention that autostarting VLC wallpapers now works great with VLC version 2.2.1.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --qt-start-minimized --video-wallpaper --no-video-title-show --playlist-autostart --loop --playlist-tree "c:\Wallpapers"
To avoid having to constantly deal with configuring every single video (and potential issues or problems that go along with that), I've added a VLC shortcut with the above target line in the Windows Startup folder which will automatically launch whatever videos I put in my "Wallpapers" folder (in the above case, in loop mode but repeat mode works fine as well). To change video, all one has to do is to focus (i.e. click) on the VLC control bar and then use the 'n' and 'p' keys to jump to the next/previous video in the folder.

The only remaining issue or "bug" occurs if you happen to double click on the video itself, this will crop the wallpaper dimensions and one will have to exit the wallpaper mode in order to fix it. But this is a really minor bug (if you can call it that), the main thing is that wallpaper mode now works as it should (at least, as long as you don't fiddle with the settings too much).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”