How to change destination folder for "Record"

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
drwin
New Cone
New Cone

How to change destination folder for "Record"

Postby drwin » 25 May 2016 02:23

Hello,
On my Win7 machine I am running VLC 2.1.5. (This is because, unlike VLC 2.2.1 or later, it will capture streaming video without crashing.)
I want to trim a video clip that I shot by using "Record" (as described in
https://www.vlchelp.com/cut-trim-videos ... ia-player/).
The issue is the destination folder. After a lot of searching, I discovered that the resulting recorded clips are saved in "My Documents."
I want to change the destination folder. I have looked in various forum sites, Q&A, etc. and none of the suggestions seem to have any effect on the results I am getting.
I'm not recording streaming video, just watching and trying to cut down some videos that I shot.
Any specific steps to changing the destination file will be much appreciated.
Thank you!

kmf31
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: How to change destination folder for "Record"

Postby kmf31 » 25 May 2016 09:05

There is an entry in the preferences => input/codecs which is called: "Record directory or file name" which should do the job (but I never tested it). (There are "many" preference entries in the section input/codecs).

Note that when you start vlc using a command line (a trivial and easy thing in Linux, in Windows apparently a very big problem in certain cases ...) either directly with appropriate command line options or using a script (shell script in Linux or bat-script in Windows) it is sufficient to "be" in the appropriate folder and to fix the output file by the appropriate sout option (when output to file is selected). Can't you install/use some nice "shell" in Windows (maybe with Cygwin) ? Even though this would require some "learning" etc. it would help you a lot to get out much more from vlc using command line parameters, especially when the graphical interface and/or preferences are to cumbersome to select the appropiate parameters. Especially preference settings apply every time you start vlc and sometimes you need a special parameter only once (and not everytime).

Note also there is also the temporary record when you do time shift (clicking sur "pause" button in vlc, wait, clicking again to see with a delay) when you are viewing things from streaming or a DVB source or similar. This uses probably a different folder for temporary files (maybe with a folder to be fixed in another preference setting somewhere) and is somewhat different than the "official record" with click on the "record" button. In particular the temporary record file for time shift is removed once you quit vlc.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”