Reading .TS files from an external USB Linux drive

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
BrandtDO.VLC
New Cone
New Cone

Reading .TS files from an external USB Linux drive

Postby BrandtDO.VLC » 15 Sep 2015 23:46

Hi:

I have an HP laptop running Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium.

I am considering purchasing a Channel Master DVR+ over-the-air (OTA) recording device.

It requires attaching a USB HD to it, that it will format with Linux, and record OTA TV shows as .TS files.

Say that I have recorded a few shows, then, disconnect the USB HD from the DVR+ and attach it to my laptop.

1) Will my laptop be able to see the .TS files that are on the Linux-formatted HD, if I just view the drive (Start > Computer) ?

2) If it can see the drive, will I be able to open it and see the list of .TS files ?

3) Would VLC be able to see the list of .TS files, and be able to open and play them ?

4) Would VLC be able to see the list of files and convert them to another format, e.g., .MP4 to be saved to another drive ?

5) Would VLC be able to extract information form the .TS file's container, such as, the program's name (e.g., NCIS , etc) ?

What I would like to do is record shows, convert them to .MP4 (or other file format), and then save them to a NTFS drive.

I would appreciate any information with which you may be able to provide.

My laptop's HD is small (size-wise), and does not have a Linux partition.

Thank you

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Reading .TS files from an external USB Linux drive

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 16 Sep 2015 10:20

1) Check the product specification. This is not a VLC issue.
2) Ditto.
3) If 2 works and if the files are actually proper TS, yes.
4) If 3, yes.
5) If 3 and the infos are preserved by the device, yes.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Gray Wolf
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Reading .TS files from an external USB Linux drive

Postby Gray Wolf » 24 May 2016 22:49

Three days ago I purchased a Channel Master DVR+. After some research online I mounted an external drive. I recorded two half hour programs as a test on the external drive. I disconnected the external drive and brought it to my MacBook. In the MacBook I installed the Mac trial program from Paragon that allows the UNIX files to be seen when the external drive is mounted. I found the drive to have been partitioned into two parts; the second part contained the .ts files. There were many superfluous files. I found my two half hour recordings by size. VLC was uncooperative. I have not yet found a Mac ts file reader that will "play" these files, however, I used Handbrake and converted them to MP4. They play well in that format. If you find a Mac program that can read Channel Master's ts files, please post the information. Thanks
Gray Wolf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”