VLC leaving fullscreen mode when audio is between videos in playlist

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
marcow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC leaving fullscreen mode when audio is between videos in playlist

Postby marcow » 23 May 2016 01:57

Dear developers and friends,

I've built some playlists containing video and audio. Generally, it's working great, as everything else with VLC, but there is some problem with fullscreen mode:

Say my playlist looks like the following:
  1. Video
  2. Audio
  3. Video
I start the playlist and switch to fullscreen mode for the initial video (1st item). Then, after some time, the audio (2nd item) is to be played.

Expected behaviour:
As far as I can see, the most appropriate behavior would be for VLC to have a black screen during the audio playback, and then continue to play the next video (3rd item) in fullscreen. This way, VLC would continue to respect my preferences.

Actual behaviour:
When VLC switches to the audio (2nd item), it suddenly leaves fullscreen. Even worse, when the next video (3rd item) is to be played, VLC is not going back to fullscreen. So VLC "overrides" my expressed preference without any input from me.

Is there any specific reason why the current behavior is the way it is? Is this undefined behavior? (Any chance we could change it?) Or is it a bug? (I'll be happy to help fix it!)

By the way, the same thing happens (of course) with XSPF support when you have videos only but some entries have the "vlc:option" set to "no-video".

I'm using VLC media player 2.2.2 on Windows 7 Professional. Unfortunately, I cannot test this with other operating systems so I don't know if it's a general issue.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Marco

Skydiver99
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC leaving fullscreen mode when audio is between videos in playlist

Postby Skydiver99 » 05 Jun 2016 05:42

Hello,
I just joined this forum minutes ago.
Although this isn't a reply, I'll post my question here. (Found out in order to create a new post, you hit the tab "New Topic"----no such tab is present, as I type this.
So can sometime answer me as to whether the information I received was incorrect, or maybe if it IS correct, perhaps it doesn't appear until I've been a member for at least 24 hours??
Thanks,
Richard

Aelaeoni
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aelaeoni » 09 Jun 2016 01:02

I am having the same problem since updating to 2.2.4, I have several videos in a playlist and every time it goes to the next video VLC drops out of full screen and i have to manually put it back in full screen mode. i have tried to find in the preferences where to change this but im either blind or i dont know what im seeing to know its what i need. a lil help would be nice.

I am running Windows 10, just updated to 2.2.4 today. am binge watching Smallville from the beginning. (don't judge me, I like the show). I do this on a regular basis and never had a problem till today.

any other questions, ill do my best to answer them.

marcow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby marcow » 03 Jan 2019 19:43

Apparently, this problem has been fixed somewhere between versions 2.2.3 (inclusive) and 2.2.8 (inclusive).

tori
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tori » 06 Apr 2019 19:54

I'm like Skydiver99, where's the, "New Topic", tab.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 08 Apr 2019 18:59

It is intended behaviour that VLC leaves fullscreen when there is no video track. Enable visualizations if you want VLC to draw in that case.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

marcow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby marcow » 08 Apr 2019 21:51

Rémi, thanks a lot for your reply!

I don’t really care what VLC shows during an audio-only track, and what you say makes sense and is reasonable.

But the actual problem was that VLC didn’t return to fullscreen even when the next track had video again. Do you see the problem? I was expecting VLC to “continue to play the next video (3rd item) in fullscreen”, as explained in the original post, but VLC did not. So the user has to interact with VLC again to bring it back to fullscreen, even when a playlist could otherwise play automatically and without any interactions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”