Windows 10, will not play DVD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jerry12302
New Cone
New Cone

Windows 10, will not play DVD

Postby Jerry12302 » 19 Apr 2016 22:46

I have a brand new laptop, ASUS, running Windows 10. Downloaded and installed VLC. Put a DVD in the DVD drive but nothing happened. Opened VLC and looked for an option to play a DVD and could not even locate a menu option for playing a DVD. I tried other DVDs as well, commercial movie (not blue ray), and one that someone put a video on from their phone.

I turned on autorun in the DVD drive. Now when a DVD is inserted a Windows 10 message pops up and gives me 2 choices, either "Search for an App in the App Store" to play it, or "Do Nothing". Thank you Bill Gates, you (insert derogatory noun of your choice here).

Can someone take me through the steps necessary to get VLC to play a DVD when I insert one in the DVD drive? Or maybe VLC can't play DVDs in WIndows 10.

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Windows 10, will not play DVD

Postby jayR » 20 Apr 2016 07:06

You need to setup AutoPlay. From Windows Control Panel, search "AutoPlay". Click "AutoPlay". Setup there. Note that Windows 10 AutoPlay doesn't work smoothly. You better use "Media" - "Open Disc" menu.

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 20 Apr 2016 09:49

I don't like Windows 10 at all. Lots of my programs cannot be compatible with it. Something like DVDAid, it needs to reinstall and then can be used on windows 10 again. Quite complicated.

jayR

Postby jayR » 21 Apr 2016 00:33

Windows 10 was designed for Microsoft Surface tablets. Interface-look sucks. But it runs media players smoothly without stuttering.

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Git
Operating System: Windows

Postby DJX » 21 Apr 2016 21:38

Windows 10 was designed for Microsoft Surface tablets. Interface-look sucks. But it runs media players smoothly without stuttering.
It was designed to look and feel the same across the Microsoft product portfolio (Xbox, PC, Tablet, Phone, etc.).
It is also designed to be more millennial friendly, hiding and/or glossing over features, settings and technical words.

Muddy7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Muddy7 » 14 Dec 2019 17:41

I think I’ve found the solution to this problem.

I was having a bitch of a problem on my Windows 10 device when, upon inserting DVD Movies and DVD Videos into my DVD drive, nothing would happen except the wretched Microsoft Store popping up. This despite my having:

1. checked that Autoplay was turned on in Windows Settings > Devices > Autoplay
2. checked that VLC Player was selected for video player in Windows Settings > Apps > Default Apps
3. when 2.) didn’t work, trying the same in Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Autoplay
4. and even systematically going through most of the troubleshooting steps in [url]https://windowsreport.com/autoplay-not-working-cd-dvd-windows-10/[/url]
5. as well as probably trying other solutions that I’ve now forgotten

In the end, it turned out that I was trying to complicate things when the answer was actually quite simple.

This is what resolved the issue: Having inserted my DVD Video disk into my DVD drive, I simply right-clicked it in Explorer (“DVD RW Drive (F:) DVD_VR”), clicked "Open AutoPlay" in the context menu that popped up, selected "Play DVD Movie – VideoLAN VLC media player" from the options in the window that opened … and that did it!

DVD Videos and DVD Movies now open automatically when I insert the DVD discs.

Simple as that! And I lost hours last night trying to figure it out. So frustrating …

Saranda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Saranda » 04 Jul 2020 11:06

I think I’ve found the solution to this problem.

I was having a bitch of a problem on my Windows 10 device when, upon inserting DVD Movies and DVD Videos into my DVD drive, nothing would happen except the wretched Microsoft Store popping up. This despite my having:

1. checked that Autoplay was turned on in Windows Settings > Devices > Autoplay
2. checked that VLC Player was selected for video player in Windows Settings > Apps > Default Apps
3. when 2.) didn’t work, trying the same in Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Autoplay
4. and even systematically going through most of the troubleshooting steps in https://windowsreport.com/autoplay-not- ... indows-10/
5. as well as probably trying other solutions that I’ve now forgotten

In the end, it turned out that I was trying to complicate things when the answer was actually quite simple.

This is what resolved the issue: Having inserted my DVD Video disk into my DVD drive, I simply right-clicked it in Explorer (“DVD RW Drive (F:) DVD_VR”), clicked "Open AutoPlay" in the context menu that popped up, selected "Play DVD Movie – VideoLAN VLC media player" from the options in the window that opened … and that did it!

DVD Videos and DVD Movies now open automatically when I insert the DVD discs.

Simple as that! And I lost hours last night trying to figure it out. So frustrating …

I've been having the same problem lately, but that didn't work for me.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”