VLC plugin for Firefox, how to stop handle mms:// stream?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
aitte
Cone that earned his stripes

VLC plugin for Firefox, how to stop handle mms:// stream?

Postby aitte » 17 Mar 2016 02:17

I have VLC plugin and WMP plugin on latest firefox on windows 7. Then, a mms:// stream appears. I want to WMP play that, but it happens only when VLC is fully disabled. But then the rtsp:// doesn't play.

How do disable only mms:// to play in vlc plugin? it stands also behind "application/x-mplayer2 (Windows Media)" name. Firefox settings (Settings>Applications> x-mplayer2) seems not to work for this, i set it for WMP and it still plays in vlc.

da2424

Re: VLC plugin for Firefox, how to stop handle mms:// stream?

Postby da2424 » 17 Mar 2016 18:16

Yes, I also see this problem. I assume that the cause is, that Firefox uses the mime type declaration of the latest loaded plugin (alphabetical order). But I'm really not sure if this is true, other causes are also possible.

The Firefox settings (Settings->Applications) are only for media which is directly loaded per URL.

If you have a website which should always use WMP, you could use the following workaround:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript"> document.write('<embed type="'); if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident") != -1) //Internet Explorer document.write('application/x-mplayer2'); else //Firefox (Only the firefox plugin knows this mime type, not VLC) document.write('application/x-ms-wmp'); document.write('" width="500" height="400" />'); </script>

aitte

Postby aitte » 19 Mar 2016 01:32

Thanks for your reply and help, but it isn't about my website. Maybe I should ask on firefox forum first - it looks like browser fault, not vlc. I got help from firefox fan - a greasemonkey script which is doing what I want

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18054 ... ugin-force
cheers

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 19 Mar 2016 03:04

If you don't control the server-side, I doubt there is a way to change Firefox's logic. You might need to edit the VLC plugin and recompile it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”