VLC Window Resizing Issue

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
enjikari
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Window Resizing Issue

Postby enjikari » 10 Mar 2016 04:39

Requesting some VLC help. I'll try to detail specifically what I'm looking for:

When I open a VLC video, it opens at a standard size with the standard UI showing. What I prefer to do is push CTRL+H, which removes the UI, and then I manually resize the window to a size I prefer, then "Always On Top". Think of it now being a Picture-In-Picture setup, where the video is playing in a small window in a corner, and I'm free to do whatever else I wish while still being able to watch the video. (side note: if only VLC could have a borderless window mode....) Anyway, when I'm done, I close the video and go about my life.

The issue I'm having is when I open a video again, it doesn't keep the resize aspect I created. I have to CTRL+H and manually resize it again. Every time, every video/playlist.

I'm thinking this is a setting I can check/uncheck, because I used to not have this issue. Used to be, when I opened a video, it kept the exact resize aspect I picked before, no matter what video/playlist I chose. I never had to resize. Now I have to every time.

I know this is a super specific issue, but does anyone have any suggestions? I just want it back to how it used to be: the VLC window always being the same size video from how it was when the last video was played.

enjikari
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Window Resizing Issue

Postby enjikari » 16 Mar 2016 14:48

Kindly bumping this.

pcplayer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pcplayer » 17 Mar 2016 01:59

Hello!

Have you tried going to Preferences then select Interface Settings then check the option "start in minimal view mode". Let me know if this helps. :)

enjikari
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enjikari » 21 Mar 2016 10:32

Hello!

Have you tried going to Preferences then select Interface Settings then check the option "start in minimal view mode". Let me know if this helps. :)
Hello, and thanks for the reply. This is a nifty preference option, especially since I'm watching videos fullscreen or minimal view most of the time (97% of the time, minimal). Unfortunately even with this option on, I still have to resize the videos.

To be specific, here is an example of the before/after of how I resize the window:

Basically, all I do is use my mouse to grab the bottom "bar" of the window and pull it up so there are no black bars on the top or bottom. It USED to be that the one time I did this, VLCMP pretty much "saved" that window size so that no matter what video I opened it would always start with that preferred size (even without the 'start in minimal mode' option activated). I miss that and want that back, I just have no idea how.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”