mkv to mp4 conversion

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Andy1701
New Cone
New Cone

mkv to mp4 conversion

Postby Andy1701 » 29 Dec 2015 00:22

I have tried to convert an MKV video File to MP4 but when VLC has completed the process all I get is a distorted and completely unwatchable mess. Why can VLC not convert the file .. The Video was downloaded from UTUBE as an HD video 2 minutes 46 seconds long 35.3 megabytes

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: mkv to mp4 conversion

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Jan 2016 16:16

If the video is H.264/AVC then you don't need to convert it, just copy the streams into a new MP4 container.

Natural
New Cone
New Cone

Re: mkv to mp4 conversion

Postby Natural » 29 Jan 2016 08:49

If the video is H.264/AVC then you don't need to convert it, just copy the streams into a new MP4 container.
How is that done? What exactly is a MP4 container and how do I get one? My video is .264/DTS. Is that fine?

I tried converting my MKV to MP4 again today and the same thing happened. VLC Media says streaming but there is no file position timer. It's yellow in the place where the file position timer should've started from. The MKV file is 6.54 GB. I decided to try a different MKV that's smaller. 325 MB. It seems to be working. I can see the file position timer and it's moving. I can hear the video but I can't see it.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”