Aspect ratio issue from command line

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jito463
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Aspect ratio issue from command line

Postby Jito463 » 07 Nov 2015 17:12

I'm not sure this is a Windows specific issue, but as I've only tested it in Windows, this seems the best place to post my problem.

Our store has a demo computer setup to run videos automatically at launch. We have it already configured to run full screen, with looping all videos from a specific directory. That has not been an issue. Recently, we switched out the monitor for one with an odd aspect ratio and are trying to configure the videos for optimal appearance.

The best ratio I've found is 2.39:1, which works perfectly when set from the context menu (right-click, video, aspect ratio). The videos fill the whole screen and don't look badly stretched. However, as this is a demo computer without a keyboard/mouse attached to it normally, we'd prefer having an automated system.

I tried setting the launch .cmd file to add '--aspect-ratio 2.39x1', but it doesn't look right. The video has black bars on the left and right sides. If I manually set another ratio, then set again to 2.39:1, it works perfectly again. It just will not work right from the command line. I've also tried setting it from within the options (force default aspect ratio), but the same issue occurs. I have to manually switch to another ratio, then back again. Any suggestions?

I've already confirmed we're running the most up-to-date version of VLC (2.2.1), so updating isn't necessary. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jito463
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Aspect ratio issue from command line

Postby Jito463 » 11 Nov 2015 21:56

No one has any thoughts on this issue? Is it just a bug in the software?

abraincell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby abraincell » 12 Nov 2015 02:03

do you get this ? i wonder if this is a glitch :( i can't seems to fix it, and when changing aspect ratio or crop it just distort the video :(

Jito463
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jito463 » 13 Nov 2015 16:34

No, the problem seems more like it just doesn't apply the new aspect ratio; even though if you use the right-click context menu, it appears to be applied. After changing the ratio then changing it back, it works as it should. The videos play fine, otherwise.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”