Cannot stream webcam

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
petma
New Cone
New Cone

Cannot stream webcam

Postby petma » 31 Oct 2015 12:30

VLC version 2.2.1, Windows 7 x64 (VLC 32-bit, tried with x64 version as well). Basically I can't get the Stream to network to work at all. I have a USB webcam (Logitech C920) and I would like to stream it's video into the local network via http.

I did the basics: Media -> Stream -> Capture Device -> Stream and selected mode DirectShow and the webcam on video and audio. Port selected was 8081. In the end it says Streaming and the counter counts up BUT I cannot access it in the network. Not from another machine or from the same machine. All I get is an error saying cannot connect. Firewall is not a problem since I have tried to completely shut off the firewall program. Also the VLC web control server works even from another machine (at port 8080).

Also VLC seems to output the RAW stream from the webcam (as it says framerate: 2 in the Tools -> Media info -> Status). This camera outputs compressed stream too so not sure why it uses the RAW stream.

I have played with the settings and tried to set Transcode on/off. No use. I have tested to open the capture device in VLC and it works (though it's showing the RAW video at 2 fps). Logitech drivers have been installed and the camera works like it should with Logitech's software.

I this even possible or am I wasting my time? Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”