50% audio and remembering window size

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
OpTicaL
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

50% audio and remembering window size

Postby OpTicaL » 02 Nov 2005 22:17

Whenever I restart VLC the audio defaults to 50% (the green bar on the player) is there a way I can set it to a predefined percentage everytime I open the player?

In addiition, whenever I open a video file with VLC the screen maximizes offscreen (it's not perfectly centered on my desktop, I have to manually drag it to fit the screen). Is there a way to make it so whenever I open a video file the screen will perfectly on my desktop? Like how WMP does?

Postby Guest » 05 Nov 2005 07:16

Whenever I restart VLC the audio defaults to 50% (the green bar on the player) is there a way I can set it to a predefined percentage everytime I open the player?
Settings - Preferences - Audio - Adjust "Default audio volume" - save. That should do it.
Is there a way to make it so whenever I open a video file the screen will perfectly on my desktop?
Try Settings - Preferences - Video - Adjust "Video x+y coordinate".

Maybe you shoult detach the video-window from the player.
Settings - Preferences - Interface - wxWidgets - disable "Embed video in interface".

erbsen

OpTicaL
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OpTicaL » 11 Nov 2005 01:49

Settings - Preferences - Audio - Adjust "Default audio volume" - save. That should do it.
I don't see "Default audio volume" under "audio" Under "general audio settings" I only see Enable Volume, Audio output volume, Audio output frequency (Hz), High quality audio resampling and 2 other options that aren't Default audio volume.
Is there a way to make it so whenever I open a video file the screen will perfectly on my desktop?
Try Settings - Preferences - Video - Adjust "Video x+y coordinate".

Maybe you shoult detach the video-window from the player.
Settings - Preferences - Interface - wxWidgets - disable "Embed video in interface".
I tried that (x,y coordinates) but it doesn't seem to work. Whenever I click on a video file it still appears off screen (not perfectly within my desktop)

I would also like to know who can I enable playback controls when in Full Screen mode, because I don't want to double-click out of full screen mode all the time just to fast forward or skip a scene.

Postby Guest » 11 Nov 2005 09:38

Anonymous wrote:
I don't see "Default audio volume" under "audio" Under "general audio settings" I only see Enable Volume, Audio output volume, Audio output frequency (Hz), High quality audio resampling and 2 other options that aren't Default audio volume.
My mistake, i use a VLC nightly build.
The option you need is "Audio output volume" - don´t forget to save.
I would also like to know who can I enable playback controls when in Full Screen mode
Settings - Preferences - Interface - Control Interfaces - Enable "Interface showing control interface" - save.
You have to restart VLC. To use the effekt, VLC has to be in fullscreen then move your mouse to the top of the screen and the control interface should appear.

erbsen

OpTicaL
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OpTicaL » 11 Nov 2005 21:06

Settings - Preferences - Interface - Control Interfaces - Enable "Interface showing control interface" - save.
You have to restart VLC. To use the effekt, VLC has to be in fullscreen then move your mouse to the top of the screen and the control interface should appear.
Thanks! However whenever I move my mouse cursor to the top of the screen the entire VLC player covers up my entire video. I just want a little bar that pops up like TCMP and Nero ShowTime.

erbsen I would like to know if there is a comprehensive guide to all the questions I have about VLC because, afterall, I am a newbie to VLC and all it's complex functions.

erbsen

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2005 09:04

However whenever I move my mouse cursor to the top of the screen the entire VLC player covers up my entire video.
That's because you've the video embedded into the VLC interface. Disable it and you get a seperate video-window and if you move your mouse to the top of the screen the tiny interface will appear.
Settings - Preferences - Interface - General - WxWindows - disable "Embed video in interface" - save and restart.
I would like to know if there is a comprehensive guide
here you are: http://www.videolan.org/doc/

erbsen

OpTicaL
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OpTicaL » 12 Nov 2005 20:23

I would like to know if there is a comprehensive guide
here you are: http://www.videolan.org/doc/
I looked into that and it doesn't give me a explaintion for all the functions. Like deinterlacing methods: Discard, Mean, Blend, Bob, Linear

I also perfer the Skins 2 skin but I can't get it to permanently stay after I close VLC.

+edit+ I got skins 2 to load during start-up but it loads 2 copies of VLC! The original skin and skins 2! How do I get it to only load skins2? And whenever I I close the the 2 copies 1 of them doesn't close and remain on my taskbar which I have to manually end task it.

I just want skins2 to load on default, I've searched the entire forums and the skins section but provided me with no intructions on how to do it. I only read there there's a bug when trying to enable skinnable interface under Interface -> General -> Extra Interface modules -> Skinnable interface

erbsen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby erbsen » 13 Nov 2005 10:25

Like deinterlacing methods: Discard, Mean, Blend, Bob, Linear
Deinterlacement and Post Processing

VLC is able to deinterlace a video stream using different deinterlacement methods. Deinterlacement can be enabled in the Video menu, Deinterlacement menu item. The Blend methods gives the best results in most cases. The discard method is a less resource consuming alternative.

On some particular streams (MPEG 4, DIVX, XVID, Sorenson, ...), some additional image filtering can be applied to the video before display, improving its quality in some cases. This can be enabled in the Video menu, Post processing menu item. Different levels of post processing can be chosen here. A higher level means more filtering.

You can also try a newer version (0.8.4-test2) or even a nightly build if you haven't already.

erbsen
Spying? Torture? Illegal airstrikes? Dyncorp, Halliburton - **Stay polite ** Slaves? SHUT UP and hate Bin Laden.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”