How to stream from Dreambox to my PC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bakobako
New Cone
New Cone

How to stream from Dreambox to my PC

Postby bakobako » 11 Nov 2005 19:57

Hello, my question may seem very naive or basic but can anyone please please tell me how to watch on my PC what my dreambox is showing? I have downloaded VLC, but it has so many settings I dont know where to start...

matthew.geier
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How to stream from Dreambox to my PC

Postby matthew.geier » 11 Nov 2005 23:31

Hello, my question may seem very naive or basic but can anyone please please tell me how to watch on my PC what my dreambox is showing? I have downloaded VLC, but it has so many settings I dont know where to start...
If you have relatively recent firmware in your dreambox, go to it's web interface and near the top you will see a line that reads something like

unlocked disk space: 115.53 GB ~59 h, 45 min 255:46 h up 172.16.16.200 vpid: 0x201 apid: 0x284

Click on the link next to 'vpid' and tell your browser to open the video.pls file in vlc.

video.pls is just a text file containing a http URL to the dreambox. You can open the video.pls file in a text editor and past the URL into vlc's open dialog box as well.

You can stream a different channel from the one the dreambox is displaying on the TV as long as both are on the same transponder. I.E.. once you start watching a stream with VLC, you can change channels on the dreambox and watch another channel but the streaming will stay on the orginal channel - as long the channel change didn't also change transponders.

bakobako
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How to stream from Dreambox to my PC

Postby bakobako » 12 Nov 2005 16:05

If you have relatively recent firmware in your dreambox, go to it's web interface and near the top you will see a line that reads something like

unlocked disk space: 115.53 GB ~59 h, 45 min 255:46 h up 172.16.16.200 vpid: 0x201 apid: 0x284

Click on the link next to 'vpid' and tell your browser to open the video.pls file in vlc.

video.pls is just a text file containing a http URL to the dreambox. You can open the video.pls file in a text editor and past the URL into vlc's open dialog box as well.

You can stream a different channel from the one the dreambox is displaying on the TV as long as both are on the same transponder. I.E.. once you start watching a stream with VLC, you can change channels on the dreambox and watch another channel but the streaming will stay on the orginal channel - as long the channel change didn't also change transponders.
=====
Thank you Mathew. yes there is such a link and when I click it, windows media player kicks in (instead of vlc or anything else), but asks me for a username and password. More specifically it says:

Connecting: 192.168.1.105 (my dreambox's ip)
Realm: Dreambox
Username:
Password:

The only username I know is the basic dreambox username which is "root" and password "dreambox" , but it does not work !

What should I do ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”