Playlist disappears

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Spanaway01
New Cone
New Cone

Playlist disappears

Postby Spanaway01 » 12 Feb 2015 02:11

I have read several posts regarding the Playlist feature and some of its issues. Mine seems to be a bit different.

I can create a video playlist and it works fine. That is until I close VLC. Once closed and reopened, the list is gone. Didn't find a save button or the like.

Version 2.1.5
Windows 8.1

TIA

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Playlist disappears

Postby Cyan » 13 Feb 2015 23:36

For me on windows 7 with VLC 2.1.5 that option is quite easy to find.

On the menu-bar, choose the first drop-down menu called "Media".
The option you were looking for should be visible now as "Save playlist to file (Ctrl + y)".

It is not default behavior for VLC to prompt the user to save a playlist when he closes VLC.

Spanaway01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spanaway01 » 14 Feb 2015 20:45

I must be doing something wrong here. I Open Playlist from the View menu, open file explorer and drag the movie files to the Playlist window, go to the main VLC window and select save to file, named it My Movies, close VLC, reopen, list is gone.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Spanaway01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spanaway01 » 14 Feb 2015 21:16

Maybe I am expecting something that is not there. I have never used the Playlist before, so perhaps what I see in the Android version isn't in Windows 8.1. When I open VLC in Android I get a clip representing the movie with the name below it. Maybe this really isn't a playlist but a directory of the movies on the device. I think that is what I am expecting in this version. Just a list of the movies is what I am expecting, without going to Media/Open Folder for a selection to be made.

Hope this additional info helps ;)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”