VLC gui has become unresponsive....

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Dilettante_Too
New Cone
New Cone

VLC gui has become unresponsive....

Postby Dilettante_Too » 03 Feb 2015 14:36

After years of service - and a fresh windows install - the VLC gui on my computer is intermittently ignoring clicks.

When the top down menus respond, the window entire window subsequently goes inert. When I can get the buttons to activate, the right click won't. Usually many of these issues are occurring at once - making the VLC media player window aggravating to manipulate. It still plays music or video, but getting it to pause, resize, or open a menu is frustrating.

I am using windows 7 pro 64 bit, and using DisplayFusion multi monitor manager. I'm often using notepad++ in tandem with VLC player (for a bit of code writing and watching/listening to media).

However I am working on a - largely- fresh install of windows 7. There isn't much that can get in the way. My old install of windows (which I've still got backed up) worked fine despite DisplayFusion, notepad++ and other such programs.

I've checked both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Rincewind VLC player , and have tried (32 bit) Twoflower as well. They've all given the same result. Each time I've uninstalled, I'm pretty sure I've told the uninstaller to delete the config files.

I've never had any problems with VLC media player before. I'm not sure what the issue could be now.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC gui has become unresponsive....

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Feb 2015 11:47

Do you have a wacom tablet?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Dilettante_Too
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dilettante_Too » 09 Feb 2015 13:49

Not connected.

[edit] - it's not been installed either. I got it years ago and am not using at present.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cyan » 11 Feb 2015 02:11

I can't help you with the issue at hand, but it makes me wonder, does it also stop responding if you only use keyboard input to control it?
This information might help to narrow down the issue.

Also, does the issue, in any way mouse or keyboard, still occur when you turn of Windows aero?

To test this, right click on a shortcut or the .exe of VLC -> compatibility -> tick "Disable visual themes" -> apply
and after that start VLC by clicking that shortcut or .exe.
You'll see that the transparency of the toolbar and opened windows will disappear while you run VLC in this mode.
It is easily disabled again by un-ticking the checkbox and hitting apply again.

Rod85
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rod85 » 15 Feb 2015 01:32

I have the same problem.

I tried all compatibility options and still not working.

I explain how GUI doenst work to me:
I open the VLC and click with mouse in play button "it works" but, then the others sections of the gui doesnt work,
I open the VLC and click with mouse in media button "it works" but, then the others sections of the gui doesnt work.
I open a video with VLC click with the mouse in scroll bar "it works" but, then the others sections of the gui doesnt work.

Any ideas what is happening?

sry for my english.

Rod85
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rod85 » 15 Feb 2015 02:00

I fix it, reset to initial preferences "or reinstall deleting preferences" and restart windows...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”