External subtitles not working properly by viewing DVD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vepe
New Cone
New Cone

External subtitles not working properly by viewing DVD

Postby vepe » 21 Dec 2014 21:58

Hello!

I like to ask if there is one thing that could be repaired for VLC-player.

When playing a DVD disc, with homemade subtitles, the subtitles do not work during the whole movie.
It works fine about 2 first minutes, but after that it does not show at all. When I tried to jump ahead in the movie, it might show subtitles in totally wrong place or not at all.
I converted the subtitle file to Sub-format (I´ve tried with other formats also and some of those does not work at all or same as this).
The subtitle I'm using is in perfect sync the whole movie and it will work fine, when I have convert the dvd to ex. flv file.

So let me just say that I am happy that I can watch the movie with my homemade subtitle (which took me quite a lot of time to make) if I convert the DVD to flv file. But it would be very useful and convenient, if it could be watched straight from the DVD using VLC-player with great quality of the vid with no hard disc space used.

Are You aware of this bug? Or can it be fixed?

I have windows vista 32bit

best regards,
vepe

Nepheler
New Cone
New Cone

Re: External subtitles not working properly by viewing DVD

Postby Nepheler » 22 Dec 2014 09:11

I guess VLC could not read home-made soft subtitles. Maybe you can try to join the subtitles to picture by using third party converters.

vepe
New Cone
New Cone

Re: External subtitles not working properly by viewing DVD

Postby vepe » 22 Dec 2014 14:46

Hey!

I got it working!! It seems that one change must be made on the VLC setup. Go to tools - and preferences (Ctrl-P) and from Video - Output change default to OpenGL and it works fine. Now its possible to watch DVD with external subtitles the whole movie and if the sub-file is in sync with the movie it will be in VLC also.

This worked for me and I run VLC on Windows Vista.

best regards,
vepe

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”