Windows Command Line Batch File (Conversion Profile)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
steve333
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Windows Command Line Batch File (Conversion Profile)

Postby steve333 » 19 Dec 2014 05:38

Can you please let me know what is the current syntax I should use for VLC in a Windows batch file?

The various references I can find are old and much has changed in VLC since they were written.
I made a couple of attempts, but just got unhelpful error messages.

What I would like to do is convert various Video files (MPEG2 mostly) into MP4.
I would like to use a pre-set profile eg. standard "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)", or one I create specifically for the job.

But I can find no reference to how to select a conversion profile with VLC at the command line.
Nor can I find a way to grab the actual settings which are used internally by the profile in the graphical environment, in a format in which they can be used as command line options.

Can someone please help?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Windows Command Line Batch File (Conversion Profile)

Postby mederi » 19 Dec 2014 15:28

https://wiki.videolan.org/Transcode/
https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation ... ng_the_GUI
https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation ... _Examples/
Use the streaming wizard GUI (Media > Stream...) and check the selected values in the final "Generated stream output string" you could use in your batch script.

Code: Select all

set vlc="C:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\vlc.exe" set options=--sout=#transcode{...}:standard{access=file,mux=mp4,dst="%%f.mp4"} vlc://quit for %%f in (*.mpg) do %vlc% "%%f" %options%

steve333
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Windows Command Line Batch File (Conversion Profile)

Postby steve333 » 20 Dec 2014 01:21

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had not seen the new VLC "stream" menus ....
I can see that they now refer to the same named profiles as the "convert" menus. This is a significant improvement.

I knew that the "stream" menu provided the parameter string (for editing), but haven't had any reason to look at it for a long time, and it didn't previously have any reference to the "profiles" (or easy access to transcoding options).

I have previously read the other (old) documentation and found various problems, but I'll try again.

From memory the main showstopper was that I couldn't get "-I dummy" or "vlc://quit" to work.
So I got a new VLC graphical window opened for every file converted, which is untenable when trying to batch process a number of files. (I'm using WIndows 7 64bit)

Suggestions:
It would be much nicer if it was possible to specify something like:
--profile "My Saved Profile"
It would be useful if the "Preferences" could be saved to a named file and referenced with a command line option like:
--preferences "My Saved Preferences"
This would nicely work around the complex issues of the many confusing overlaps between the global preferences and the profile settings.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”