scroll wheel volume control

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
titoj
New Cone
New Cone

scroll wheel volume control

Postby titoj » 11 Oct 2014 07:45

Of course there are several different ways to control the volume, but the most convenient for me has been to use the scroll wheel. Works fine on both my computer and my wife's, but there's a problem with the copy loaded on the PC connected to our flat-panel TV.

The specific range of percentages seems to vary according to the media being run, but I can only adjust the volume in a narrow range using the mouse wheel. That range was 45% to 55% on the last file I played. I have to find the wedge-shaped corner control with the mouse pointer from across the living room, or dig the amplifier's remote control from between the couch cushions.

Reinstalling the program doesn't seem to help, perhaps because the player leaves some parts of itself hidden in the registry.

If this is an incorrect setting, any tips on where to look? Alternatively, is there a "VLC Player scrubber" utility anywhere, or a list of all the places VLC-related code is hiding in Windows? More of a nuisance than a major problem, but it would be nice to have the program work the same way on all our machines.

Thanks.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: scroll wheel volume control

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 11 Oct 2014 11:28

Either the range of volume goes from 0 to the output-specific maximum (at least 100%), or the volume is fixed to 100% (mostly in case of digital pass-through). So your questions do not make much sense.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

titoj
New Cone
New Cone

Re: scroll wheel volume control

Postby titoj » 14 Oct 2014 05:54

Thank you. I'll try to set up my video cam and post a short clip of me rolling the mouse wheel while the number goes from 45 to 50 to 55 and back down again no matter how much I keep turning the wheel.

And in fact, I don't think the volume is fixed and not controllable by the mouse wheel when digital audio is passed through. That is what I'm doing with my videos that have Dolby or DTS audio. It's fed through a TOSLINK cable, and I can control the volume. I'll try to get that on video also, when time permits.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”