Has UPnP bug fixed yet?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jeffoz1
New Cone
New Cone

Has UPnP bug fixed yet?

Postby jeffoz1 » 07 Oct 2014 09:00

Been on version 2.0.8 for ages because the Local Network > Universal Plug'n Play option caused later versions to crash on my win 7 (and other forum members' too).

Just wondered if this was still happening on the latest version before I try again to update and then have to revert back.

Thanks

pprovost
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Has UPnP bug fixed yet?

Postby pprovost » 07 Oct 2014 17:40

No it hasn't been fixed. I'm in the same situation. Still using 2.0.8 because I use the uPnP. I keep trying each new release and pre-release version, in hope that it has been fixed. No luck so far. Anything newer than 2.0.8 still crash on me.

jeffoz1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jeffoz1 » 12 Oct 2014 09:37

Surprises me that it has been given no priority. This feature enables me to stream video to my PC from several media server devices in the home. It also enables me to download those media files to my PC very conveniently. Since this feature works great in 2.0.8, surely this is an easy fix? Could any of you software gurus look at this please.

Thanks

nqfe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nqfe » 12 Oct 2014 11:49

Could any of you software gurus look at this please.
Seems not to be important. :(

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Oct 2014 12:27

Nobody wants to work on it on their free time, and nobody wants to pay someone else either. Fixing UPnP in VLC is a humonguous task.

If it is a regression as you claim, then you should bisect it and file a bug once you have found which change caused it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

magowiz
New Cone
New Cone

Why is Videolan apparently ignoring UPNP Dlna?

Postby magowiz » 09 Nov 2014 10:05

Hello everybody!

I keep checking on this forum to see if the issue of developing UPNP render-server-controlpoint modules for VLC has been addressed every few months, but I see it has not. (I personally still work out my multimedia needs over home network using DLNA-Upnp protocol with a combination of other software: Serviio as a server over Windows-PC, Foobar2000 as audio renderer over Windows-PC, MediaHousePro as a ControlPoint over Android )

I am so much surprised that Videolan does not seem to feel this development is important at all.In fact, almost all TVs and Audio Hifi systems on sal now are UPNP DLNA compliant, Apple iOs is migrating audio/video features under Upnp Dlna with AirPlay, any android tablet or phone has Upnp Dlna built in, plus there are dozens of apps (most of which, on a commercial basis!). There are at least 4-6 major multiplatform projects todevelop home/on the go multimedia systems based on UPNP Dlna (XBMC, Plex, Lynn, not to mention WMP itself). If you spend 10 minutes to browse the web on the subjectyou find out that there are hundreds of posts that wonder why VLC can't be used as a UPNP DLNA renderer, or stream to a DLNA device, or be operated remotely fron android or i phone.

All this consodered, it may seem that by ignoring UPNP DLNA issues, Videolan developers are missing a central issue, which may become a real threat to VLC future diffusion. Why is that? Am I missing something important?

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Money (That's What I Want)

Postby Ludrax » 14 Nov 2014 01:18

All this consodered, it may seem that by ignoring UPNP DLNA issues, Videolan developers are missing a central issue, which may become a real threat to VLC future diffusion. Why is that? Am I missing something important?
:mrgreen:
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Why is Videolan apparently ignoring UPNP Dlna?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 14 Nov 2014 09:13

Yes, VideoLAN is missing a competent and available developer to take up UPnP.

Reallistically, unless/until a company hires someone to do this, it's unlikely to be fixed.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”