Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
HowlinWolf
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby HowlinWolf » 20 Nov 2013 15:34

if generous people from http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ be able bypass the recent protection for newest Blu-ray releases with their .dll files database. . .only then we'll be able to play original BR movies
I have tried ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 6 for BR movies and it works fine. . .

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Dec 2013 01:01

Or AnyDVD HD...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

boristhemoggy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby boristhemoggy » 05 Mar 2014 02:42

I get
Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

The key file does go in the %appdata%/roaming/aacs folder yes?

dchamb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dchamb » 16 Mar 2014 19:08

I am using the VLC for Windows 64 bit and find it works well for playback of mkv files I have ripped. However, it doesn't work at all when attempting to playback directly from a Blu-Ray disk. I have followed the instructions for AACS decoding, but I still get the following failure:

Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

I am trying to compare results with an mkv file I ripped from the same Blu-Ray disk. In VLC I am not able to get "forced subtitles" to appear. Case in point: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock does not display subtitles when there is Klingon spoken.

It would be really fantastic if VLC supported direct Blu-Ray playback and forced subtitles.

Whudunit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Whudunit » 11 Jul 2014 08:21

I just tried this today.

I had gone to the http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name many times. I had followed their instructions verbatim. Now I am using a WIN7 64bit machine, though I used a tip from a Youtube video which said to use the 32bit version. Nothing worked.

I was getting the aacs Host certificate revoked error. I decided as a last ditch effort to copy the aacs folder from my appdata folder into my Progams VideoLan\VLC folder and the Program (x86) same location and I was able to run my Toy Story 3 Blu-ray. I am really new at this, so please go easy on me, if I managed to make the playback work by other means, which I am not aware of.

I did forget to select Blu-Ray in VLC disc menu the first time, it was at DVD, therefor it didn't work the first go round.

I sincerely, hope this works for you, as others have helped me with various computer issues over the years, and for once, I'd like to return the favour.

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 23 Sep 2014 09:05

Is there an updated AACS library available?

I haven't had the AACS error up until now, but have just tried to play a new BD (the Region B release of Sherlock, Series Three) and VLC 2.1.5 fails, saying it needs a codec.

I've done what has been discussed on this page -- going to http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name and copying the DLL and CFG files to their specified locations -- but it hasn't helped solve the issue.

The disc plays back OK in PowerDVD 13 Ultra, with or without DVDFab to break the copy protection, but the video stutters constantly throughout. It plays fine in Nero Blu-ray Player, though, with no issues, so I don't think it's a faulty disc.

Perhaps there's an updated version of the AACS code in the BD encryption?

Any suggestions for resolving this, please?

StarbuckOnBSG
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby StarbuckOnBSG » 16 Oct 2014 10:38

The http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name libaacs.dll works for VLC 2.1.5 64-bit (but no libbdplus.dll 64-bit available).

I made a bundle in AACS Updater project:
http://www.labdv.com/aacs/play-encrypte ... th-vlc.php

And you can install AACS Updater to keep KEYDVB.cfg up-to-date:
http://www.labdv.com/aacs/updater.php

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 05 Dec 2014 10:16

I am not such guys who obsessed with kinds of technical stuffs :( have to take some time look into this.
Thanks!

ndjamena
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ndjamena » 12 Dec 2014 13:58

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p414089

(Not sure I should post the same thing twice.)

Ami Mizuno
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ami Mizuno » 20 Dec 2014 03:05

What should I do? Every time I try to open the blu ray disc VLc crashs and when I click on the dvd to get it to open to VLC it gives me this

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:\'. Check the log for details.

I made sure everything is in the right place.

Orientalus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Orientalus » 24 Dec 2014 13:29

I hate doing what seems to be "beating a dead horse" but I am getting this error message when using the 2.1.5 version of VLC media player and attempting to play How to Train Your Dragon 2

Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

I have the libaacs.dll and the KEYDB.cfg files in the VLC and AppData/Roaming/aacs files respectively

I do have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions with the proper libaacs.dll files for their versions and neither play my Blu-Ray.

What am I doing wrong?

Ori

StarbuckOnBSG
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby StarbuckOnBSG » 24 Dec 2014 14:03

I guess you can read other blu-rays so your install is correct but How to Train Your Dragon 2 has new protection (MKB version) which is not yet supported by KEYDB.cfg (Processing Key missing).

Nothing you can do but try with MakeMkv libmmdb.dll stuff (must install MakeMkv and rename libmmdb.dll as libbdplus.dll and libaacs.dll in VLC dir.

ndjamena
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ndjamena » 25 Dec 2014 04:37

Playing Blu Rays in VLC using MakeMKV:

For 32 bit VLC:

Code: Select all

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\libaacs.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd.dll" mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\libbdplus.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd.dll"
For 64 bit VLC:

mklink "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\libaacs.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd64.dll" mklink "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\libbdplus.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd64.dll"
Make sure you're running from a console with admin privileges and that the VLC directory is correct and you won't need multiple copies of the same file taking up space on your drive (plus if MakeMKV happens to update the dlls the VLC dlls will automatically update too).

MakeMKV needs to be properly installed, it needs to either be in trial mode or have a working key (either the beta key from the forum or a properly purchased key) and it generally needs unrestricted access to the internet to properly bypass BD+.

StarbuckOnBSG
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby StarbuckOnBSG » 25 Dec 2014 10:40

3 new Processing Keys have been uploaded, may improved AACS bypass:
http://www.labdv.com/aacs/

And 25 new disk keys (VUK)

CJRodgers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CJRodgers » 26 Dec 2014 06:50

Just got a new bluray drive today, having the same problem as others in the thread.
Running the latest 64 bit player on a 64 bit windows rig, added libaacs.dll to the VLC main folder and KEYDB.cfg to the aacs file in roaming.

End up with this message
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///G:/'. Check the log for details.

Here's a transcript of the log.

main debug: adding item `(null)' ( bluray:///G:/ ) qt4 debug: Adding a new MRL to recent ones: bluray:///G:/ main debug: processing request item: (null), node: null, skip: 0 main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist main debug: rebuild done - 4 items, index 3 main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item main debug: resyncing on (null) main debug: (null) is at 3 main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for '(null)' main debug: Creating an input for '(null)' main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp' main debug: `bluray:///G:/' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/G:/' main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='' location='/G:/' file='G:\' main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 12 candidates main debug: meta ok for (null), need to fetch art main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac main debug: using meta fetcher module "lua" main debug: removing module "lua" main debug: art not found for (null) qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 93, BD-J Titles: 10, Other: 10 main debug: no access_demux modules matched main debug: creating access 'bluray' location='/G:/', path='G:\' main debug: looking for access module matching "bluray": 20 candidates main debug: no access modules matched main error: open of `bluray:///G:/' failed main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 3/4) main debug: nothing to play qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input
Any ideas? I've tried searching the forums but no luck yet.

Madmaxneo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Madmaxneo » 29 Dec 2014 04:31

I'm in the same boat, I can't get VLC to play Blu ray movies. I am running win 7 64 bit.
I followed the directions at the beginning of this thread and downloaded the two required files (The Keys Database and the AACS dynamics library). I did have to create an "AACS" folder in the "Roaming" folder.
I also went into Tools/Preferences and the Input/codecs tab and enabled "Hardware-accelerated decoding". I tried it in auto and the DirectX video acceleration.
Nothing is working so far.

Is there something else I am missing?

Bruce

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cchen23 » 28 Feb 2015 23:54

Could you post the error page you are getting? That may help us find solutions for you.

Xndrmldr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Xndrmldr » 12 Mar 2015 14:18

Playing Blu Rays in VLC using MakeMKV:

For 32 bit VLC:

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\libaacs.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd.dll" mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\libbdplus.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd.dll"
[...]
Make sure you're running from a console with admin privileges and that the VLC directory is correct and you won't need multiple copies of the same file taking up space on your drive (plus if MakeMKV happens to update the dlls the VLC dlls will automatically update too).

MakeMKV needs to be properly installed, it needs to either be in trial mode or have a working key (either the beta key from the forum or a properly purchased key) and it generally needs unrestricted access to the internet to properly bypass BD+.
With my thanks ! :D
This helped me.
I run Vista-32.
Some new Blu-ray disks did not work, now they do :P

saurophaga101
New Cone
New Cone

Postby saurophaga101 » 25 Jun 2015 03:19

So I installed the KEYDB.cfg and the libaacs.dll and placed them in the right places, but when I tried to play the Blu-Ray I got this code,

core debug: processing request item: Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™, node: Playlist, skip: 0 core debug: resyncing on Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™ core debug: Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™ is at 0 core debug: starting playback of the new playlist item core debug: resyncing on Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™ core debug: Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™ is at 0 core debug: creating new input thread core debug: Creating an input for 'Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™' core debug: requesting art for Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™ core debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\JP\AppData\Local\Temp' core debug: `bluray:///D:/' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/D:/' core debug: specified demux `any' core debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/D:/' file='D:\' core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates core debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 12 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\JP\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in E:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script E:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) E:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac core debug: no meta fetcher modules matched core debug: found art for Princess Mononoke - Blu-ray™ in cache qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 2, BD-J Titles: 87, Other: 87 libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS core debug: using access_demux module "libbluray" core debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' core debug: looking for meta reader module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\JP\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in E:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script E:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac core debug: no meta reader modules matched core debug: `bluray:///D:/' successfully opened libbluray warning: event: 16 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 19 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 20 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 15 param: 255 libbluray warning: event: 18 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 14 param: 255 libbluray warning: unimplemented query (17) in control core debug: finished input core debug: removing module "libbluray" libbluray info: Closing overlays. core debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 66 candidates core debug: no demux modules matched core debug: dead input core debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) core debug: nothing to play qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input
I'm using an ASUS BC-12B1ST for my optical drive and I'm running Windows 7.

ORCACommander
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ORCACommander » 25 Jun 2015 18:26

this is weird, we were both trying the same blu ray at the same time last night. only difference is hardware:P

Others tried so Far: Ghost inthe Shell 25th Anniversary, A very nice Alien box set set but i found that was bd+ so one thing at a time

Windows 7 Professional X64, VLC 64. Hardware: Pioneer BDR-209DBK

I have tried the who knows my name and more up to date sources and it keeps failing anyways. Anyone have a compiled 64 bit copy of libaacs 0.8.1?

EDIT: Out of my blu rays only oen that gets playback is Dredd

Full Debug:

core debug: adding item `(null)' ( bluray:///K:/ ) core debug: processing request item: (null), node: null, skip: 0 core debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist core debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index 0 core debug: starting playback of the new playlist item core debug: resyncing on (null) core debug: (null) is at 0 core debug: creating new input thread core debug: Creating an input for '(null)' core debug: requesting art for (null) core debug: Creating an input for '(null)' core debug: meta ok for (null), need to fetch art core debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\ORCACO~1\AppData\Local\Temp' core debug: `bluray:///K:/' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/K:/' core debug: specified demux `any' core debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/K:/' file='K:\' qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates core debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 12 candidates core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ORCACommander\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ORCACommander\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac core debug: no meta fetcher modules matched core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ORCACommander\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac core debug: no meta fetcher modules matched core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ORCACommander\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac core debug: using meta fetcher module "lua" core debug: removing module "lua" core debug: art not found for (null) core debug: using meta fetcher module "lua" core debug: removing module "lua" core debug: art not found for (null) libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 2, BD-J Titles: 87, Other: 87 libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS libbluray debug: Selecting Title 25 core debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' core debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 66 candidates core debug: no demux modules matched core debug: using access_demux module "libbluray" core debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' core debug: looking for meta reader module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ORCACommander\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac core debug: no meta reader modules matched core debug: `bluray:///K:/' successfully opened libbluray warning: event: 16 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 19 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 20 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 15 param: 255 libbluray warning: event: 18 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 14 param: 255 core debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 66 candidates core debug: no demux modules matched core debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' libbluray warning: event: 16 param: 0 core debug: removing module "libbluray" libbluray info: Closing overlays. core debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 66 candidates core debug: no demux modules matched core debug: finished input core debug: dead input core debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) core debug: nothing to play qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input

DLCPhoto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DLCPhoto » 12 Jul 2015 21:10

I'm a little late to this thread, but wanted to post what ended up working for me. I've read everything in multiple threads, on various Forums (fora?), and kept striking out.

This is on a Windows 7 Laptop. For reasons explained below, this solution requires the 32-bit version of VLC Player.

The first part of the usual instructions given at the frequently linked site, needs to be done. That is, download the KEYDB.cfg file, and put it in the appropriate AppData folder for your 'username':

c:\users\'username'\appdata\roaming\aacs

This aacs folder does not exist initially, so you have to manually create it, then copy the KEYDB.cfg file to it.

I also saw recommendations to put this file in:

c:\users\'username'\appdata\aacs

and so I had done this as well, but I don't know if it's necessary.

The above page talks about then putting in their libaacs.dll file (32 bit or 64 bit, depending on your VLC installation) into the VLC subfolder, but this never worked for me.

Instead, I used the dll's from the current MakeMKV program installation (see this thread).

MakeMKV is a 32-bit program, so presumably the dll's from its installation wouldn't work in a 64-bit install of VLC (although I'm not 100% certain of this), hence the recommendation to use 32-bit VLC PLayer.

In the MakeMKV subfolder of Programs (x86), you'll find a file called libmmbd.dll. Copy this to the VLC folder, and rename it to libaacs.dll. Copy that same file from the MakeMKF folder again to the VLC folder, and this type rename it to libbdplus.dll.

Once I made these changes, I was able to successfully play BluRay Discs that wouldn't play before.

Just wanted to post this for the benefit of others who might have been pulling their hair out over this, as I was for most of the day.

MetalRider
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MetalRider » 29 Jul 2015 08:08

I've been through the above steps and corrected all the errors I had made, which included pretty much everything previously discussed. I've only gotten to a point where I try the Blu-Ray I want to play (Godzilla vs. Biollante) and when I hit play, I get a brief screen splash, and then nothing after that. Any ideas?
I did just try another movie, and same result......a brief screen splash and then nothing. At least it now attempts to play the discs.

DLCPhoto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DLCPhoto » 17 Aug 2015 12:52

I've been through the above steps and corrected all the errors I had made, which included pretty much everything previously discussed. I've only gotten to a point where I try the Blu-Ray I want to play (Godzilla vs. Biollante) and when I hit play, I get a brief screen splash, and then nothing after that. Any ideas?
I did just try another movie, and same result......a brief screen splash and then nothing. At least it now attempts to play the discs.
Did you install and use the MakeMKF files as in my post right above yours? That's what did the trick for me.

bjgmail
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bjgmail » 18 Jan 2016 05:39

I have Win 10:

Initially I got the missing library errors, so I followed the instructions to get that taken care of.

I've followed all instructions on installing the key and dll and I am using the 64 bit version.

I also tried one of the latest daily builds as suggested above. None of that helped.

My problem: All that plays is the load icon, then back to the vlc icon. no errors, nothing else. In my case I'm playing Tomorrowland and the only thing that plays is the Tomorrowland still image.

What have I missed?

obernegg
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray win10 Support

Postby obernegg » 30 Jan 2016 21:48

Hi,
they are working on this ticket https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/15589
Vlc media player could not start. Either the command line options were invalid or no plugins were found
wait a few days- it seems it will be fixed in a coming nighties

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”