Jerky playback from capture device (DVB-T)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
martinu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Jerky playback from capture device (DVB-T)

Postby martinu » 09 Sep 2014 13:28

(Apologies if this turns out to be a generic problem that's not confined to Windows, but I cannot test it on anything other than Windows so I've no idea whether other operating systems are affected)

I've noticed that if I capture from a DVB-T decoder, using VLC 2.1.4 64 bit either to play live TV (as if it were a television) or to record live TV, I get jerky playback. As far as I can see, the PC isn't struggling (there isn't excessive CPU or memory usage).

Am I doing it the correct way? This is what I do:

- Media | Open Capture Device
- Capture Mode = TV - digital
- Tuner card = 0
- Delivery system = DVB-T
- Transponder frequency = 514000 kHz (one of my DVB-T multiplexes is on UHF 26, centre frequency 514 MHz)
- bandwidth = 8 MHz
- Advanced options = all defaults

- Playback | Program = (select a channel from the displayed list)

This plays in jerks: there's about 1 second of smooth video and sound, then a pause of about 1/2 second and then another burst of smooth video. As far as I can tell, no video/audio is lost: everything picks up exactly where it left off before the pause.

If I press the record button, the whole multiplex is recorded without (as I can tell) and dropped data. But what is recorded is only what is displayed: if I record for 5 minutes, I will only see maybe 30 seconds of video (because the video keeps freezing for 1/2 second every second) and this is all that is recorded.

The PC spec is Windows 7 Home Premium, Athlon II X4 630 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, SATA II hard disk with about 80 GB free space. While V:C is capturing and playing its jerky video, Task Manager | Performance shows about 5-10% CPU usage, spread equally among the 4 CPU cores, with physical memory usage about 50-60%. So it's not hammering the PC so hard that it can't keep up. The DVB-T adaptor is a Hauppauge Win-TV Nova-T DVB-T.

Normal TV playback and recording (eg in Windows Media Centre or Next PVR) records and plays back fine - it's only in VLC that things get jerky.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Jerky playback from capture device (DVB-T)

Postby Ludrax » 09 Sep 2014 19:25

An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”