Auto restart stream playback

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
AJ1
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Ubuntu & Windows

Auto restart stream playback

Postby AJ1 » 25 Jun 2014 05:15

Hi. I have VLC playing a multicast RTP AAC+ audio stream 24/7 from satellite. When occasional satellite rain fade & sun transit interference temporarily disrupts the stream, I am needing VLC to always keep trying to play that stream, so it returns to normal playing as soon as possible. Currently, VLC will occasionally get stuck recovering from rain fade, requiring the stop and play buttons to be pressed to get the stream playing again. I recall Winamp had a plugin that would automatically do that. Is there a fail safe easy way to force VLC to continually keep trying to restart the same stream? Thanks.

daaceking
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Auto restart stream playback

Postby daaceking » 26 Jun 2014 12:20

from experience, i think it's just how these things work. you could follow the feature/bug reporting/testing route and maybe you'll have such feature in a future vlc version.

support --> bug reporting [top of page]

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 27 Jun 2014 05:46

Hi, AJ1!
CloudStalker hasn't actually tested this feature, but, perhaps it may do what you're looking for(?)
  • Open up VLC and go to Tools > Preferences (Ctrl+P)
  • In the bottom-left corner under "Show settings" select "All"
  • In the left pane, click the plus + next to "Input / Codecs" and click the plus + next to Access modules and click on "HTTP(S)"
  • Tick the box "Auto re-connect"
According to the popup, this should attempt to 'reconnect to the stream in case of a sudden disconnect'

Hope this helps ya. :)

AJ1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AJ1 » 30 Jun 2014 08:52

thank you both. It's a RTP multicast stream, so had assumed enabling HTTP auto reconnect would not work, but you never know, I'll give it a try!. thanks.

markn62
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby markn62 » 24 Oct 2014 00:16

So AJ, did it work?

AJ1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AJ1 » 24 Oct 2014 01:24

No Mark unfortunately it didn't. My stream is a RTP/UDP multicast stream, so maybe that's why. I have not logged a feature request though.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”