Jerky playback, playing from capture device (DVB-T decoder)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
martinu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Jerky playback, playing from capture device (DVB-T decoder)

Postby martinu » 10 Jun 2014 21:52

Is there some reason why VLC cannot display a channel that is being captured from a device without stuttering, although it can record it fine?

I'm using VLC 2.1.4 on Windows 7, capturing from a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T DVB-T tuner.

I choose Media -> Open Capture Device -> Capture Mode = TV-digital and Transponder = 514000 kHz (the BBC A multiplex for my transmitter). I then choose Playback -> Programme and select one of the channels (eg BBC One) on that multiplex.

The programme plays but is very jerky - typically it plays in bursts of about 2 seconds with a 1 second freeze etc. Both sound and picture pause.

This seems to apply to any multiplex and any channel within the multiplex.

If I press the Record button, the whole multiplex is recorded to a TS file and, having stopped recording, any programme from that multiplex can be played back fine, without pauses.

The CPU usage for the PC (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager, Performance) shows low usage (none of the four processors is using more than about 10% CPU).

Are there any settings that I need to tweak?

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Fix Me

Postby Ludrax » 16 Jun 2014 14:53

Is there some reason why VLC cannot display a channel that is being captured from a device without stuttering, although it can record it fine?
DVB regression in 2.1.x
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Jerky playback, playing from capture device (DVB-T decod

Postby Ludrax » 07 Jul 2014 01:39

maybe some devices don't like this

Code: Select all

GetSignalStrength: entering
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”