Recording problem

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
laureliel
New Cone
New Cone

Recording problem

Postby laureliel » 03 Jun 2014 23:16

Hello!
I have the newest version of VLC and my setting should be normal. The video Im using is hd quality.
The problem is that when I record something with the record button, the video that is cut is very pixelated. So I hit the record, play the part of the video that I want to be separate and hit the record button again. When I watch the video I just separated it is of very low quality and so pixelated.

Does anyone know the solution for this? I tried searching everywhere but couldnt find anything helpful. Thank you.

daaceking
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Recording problem

Postby daaceking » 04 Jun 2014 08:50

tv recording?

try turning the quality up maybe? choosing better codecs like x264 etc?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 07 Jun 2014 06:21

Greetings, laureliel. :]
It may depend on the codec being used by the video itself. Could you post that codec information here? (Press Ctrl+J while the video is playing)

wolftaile
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wolftaile » 11 Aug 2014 04:40

Hi, I've experienced the same problem as the original poster. I used the record function to record several parts of a video that I have and when I watch them they are all extremely pixelated - whether it is using VLC or the Windows Media Player. I think it is something to do with the original video because I recorded parts of a different video and it was perfectly fine. Is there any way to fix this?

Here's the codec for the video (whatever that means)

Type: Video
Codec: H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)(avc1)
Resolution(1280 x 528)
Frame rate: 23.976215
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Thanks!

YankeePappa
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YankeePappa » 10 Sep 2014 07:32

Using the red record button results in different output formats with different input files, even though all of the input files are mkv-containers derived from blu-rays. In one case, the output is an mkv file that is apparently an identical copy of the input. With another mkv input file that also plays perfectly, the output is a poor-quality avi, with intermittent heavy pixelation and sometimes complete loss of the image. Jean-Baptiste, dude-man extraordinaire himself incarnate, Is there any way to improve the poorly-behaving input files?

YankeePappa
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YankeePappa » 11 Sep 2014 04:02

I got tired of waiting for one of Jean-Baptiste's cryptic and necrotic replies. After re-ripping from the blu-ray using a 3-year newer version of MakeMKV, now VLC outputs an MKV file and it plays perfectly. Thanks anyway, JB.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”