Multimedia key Play doesn't work

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Mr Wolf
Cone that earned his stripes

Multimedia key Play doesn't work

Postby Mr Wolf » 19 Nov 2013 15:01

Hi!
I have a USB remote controller with multimedia keys, this one:
Since I've upgraded to VLC 2.1.0, the Play/Pause key doesn't work anymore, or, better: if the video is stopped and I press the key, the video is played, and, if I press it again, pause doesn't work, and the play icon appears on screen; if the video is already paused, this time play doesn't work and the pause icon appears on the screen when I press it.

Guess it's a bug, because till version 2.0.9 it worked perfectly.

JSH2728
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Multimedia key Play doesn't work

Postby JSH2728 » 19 Nov 2013 18:15

Hello I upgraded this morning to 2.1.1 and I had a similar issue, I have a Logitech G19 keyboard and I would usually click the play/pause media keys on the keyboard to control VLC. After this update if I click the play/pause button while I am watching something it shows the icon of pause and if I click again it shows the play icon in the top right of my screen but doesn't actually do anything. though I tried the stop on the keyboard and that worked as usual and minimized the player.

Matt Pearson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Matt Pearson » 07 Dec 2013 22:53

I have the same issue after upgrading my Media PC to 2.1.1

Running a HDMI-CEC adapter and HDMI-CEC tray app which allowed me to control VLC with my remote up until 2.1.1.

Pause/play smart keys now no longer pauses or plays just as the above posters have found.

Seems the multimedia key function has been broken.

Has this been raised as a bug?

JimOfMex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JimOfMex » 08 Jan 2014 04:10

I have been perplexed by this same problem. I have found a workaround. Although I never changed the User Interface settings on previous versions of VLC, I did change it to Remote Control after reading this thread. It made no difference. Although most of the controls continue to work in VLC Version 2.1.2, the Play/Pause button does not. Repeatedly pressing this button alternately causes a Play arrow icon and a Pause icon to appear in the upper right-hand of the screen (new behavior in my experience), but the video continues to play.
WORKAROUND: On my remote, I have found another key that also causes the Play and Pause icons to appear. Conveniently, it also causes the video to stop and start. My remote's brand name is simply PC-Remote. There are no other names nor models on the control. I have had it several years. The key that actually stops and start the video is the center one in the bottom-most row of 3 buttons. The symbol on it is two squares meant to represent two windows. When VLC doesn't have focus, the button switches the focus from whichever window has it to whichever window had it before. Even with VLC running, it used to cause VLC to leave full-screen mode and bring a different window into focus. Now, it just starts and stops the video. I now have the interface set to Qt, but it behaved the same in RC.

wasteland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wasteland » 20 Jan 2014 19:23

I have the same problem with a Dell USB keyboard with media buttons. the Pause/Play button was set as a global hotkey but no longer works with or without VLC focus. Now if I try to set it, VLC doesn't recognize any button is being pressed. Next, Previous, and Stop still work while VLC has focus, but do not work when VLC is minimized. They are set as normal and global hot keys.

Corbax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Corbax » 21 Jan 2014 15:35

Known bug, dev are working it.

ticket 9521

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2014 16:27

Fixed in 2.1.3 and 2.2.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 14 Feb 2014 16:31

Many thanks! ^_^

wasteland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wasteland » 14 Feb 2014 16:46

Yeah it works for me know. Thanks.

pinkbecca
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pinkbecca » 27 Apr 2014 08:00

I have the latest VLC, the play/pause global hotkey isn't registering with my sony bluetooth headset, I hope someone could help me

pinkbecca
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pinkbecca » 27 Apr 2014 08:46

as shown above, I'm able to register only backward and forward button from my bluetooth headset, why isn't the pause/play button allowing me to register?, please help.

bronxbomma718
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bronxbomma718 » 22 Jul 2014 10:20

Hi,

First of all, great software..bravo to the team!!!

I downloaded VLC 2.1.4 update as well stem VLC Remote and VLC Streamer yesterday and my PLAY/PAUSE hot key ceased functioning. What gives? When playing aVideo, I can pause it when i tap my hot key (SPACE BAR) but when I tap SPACE BAR again, it doesn't play again. It worked perfectly prior to update and download of extensions/remotes/streamer. How do I fix this?

Thanks a bunch.

Dr. Singh

bronxbomma718
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bronxbomma718 » 22 Jul 2014 10:21

BTW, I forgot to inform you that I have a MAC OS. :o)

sour
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sour » 28 Jul 2014 18:38

I have the same problem with a Dell USB keyboard with media buttons. the Pause/Play button was set as a global hotkey but no longer works with or without VLC focus. Now if I try to set it, VLC doesn't recognize any button is being pressed. Next, Previous, and Stop still work while VLC has focus, but do not work when VLC is minimized. They are set as normal and global hot keys.
EXACTLY ON POINT! i have same EXACT problem

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”