want to set up Video on Demand

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
funions78
New Cone
New Cone

Re: want to set up Video on Demand

Postby funions78 » 19 Feb 2012 03:44

set VLC player to stream to your current location then set VLC to recieve that file
I'm also trying to play a DVD (in 'PC1') over my LAN to another PC that doesn't have a DVD drive ('PC2').

Can you perhaps give more tips on how I would put a DVD into PC1 and then set VLC on PC1 to stream that -- and then, from PC2, how to tell VLC to play the stream from PC1?

Is the "stream" something that I can pause and shuttle around? Or does it play beginning to end? ie, can I control the stream from PC2, or must I control it from PC1?

Thanks! -Scott
If your network can handle the bandwidth requirements, you could "Share" your DVD drive on PC1 on your LAN, and then mount that "Share" as a drive on on PC2. In other words, you could create a G:/ drive or something on PC2 which corresponds to D:/ (or whatever it is) on PC1. PC2 would view the G:/ drive you mount as a legit DVD drive, and any common software would play it. Here's some additional info.

Edit: wow, didn't realize I just responded to a 4 year old post. Scott probably has it sorted out by now, will leave it here though in case anyone has a similar thing.

hasselcloud
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hasselcloud » 27 Feb 2012 14:31

First of all, we need a machine to run the VLC server on. Here, it will be 192.168.0.2, an Ubuntu 8.04 machine with VLC 0.9.8a, ffmpeg SVN-r16245 (built from source) and x264 0.65.1057 (built from source).

Then, we need to copy some media files on the server. I'll use an MP3 file (music.mp3) and an MPEG2 video (video.mpg), both located in /home/julien/media.

Now, let's write the VLC configuration file and save it as vlc_vod_config:

# VLC media player VLM command batch
# http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

new MyMusic vod enabled
setup MyMusic input "file:///home/julien/media/music.mp3"

new MyVideo vod enabled
setup MyVideo input "file:///home/julien/media/video.mpg"

new MyVideoMobile vod enabled
setup MyVideoMobile input "file:///home/julien/media/video.mpg" output "#transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=h264,vb=384,height=120,width=160,fps=20,aenc=ffmpeg,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=1}"

It's fairly self explanatory :) As you can see, we need to create an entry for each media we want to stream:

the media identifier (MyMusic, MyVideo) following the new keyword is important because it's going to be part of the URL used by the client to access the media.
vod stands for Video on Demand (VLC can also do broadcast streams)
enabled, well... you get the idea :)
setup...input links the identifier to the actual media file we want to stream
The last stream, MyVideoMobile, is based on the same MPEG input file as the MyVideo stream. However, this file will be resized and transcoded on the fly into H264 video and MP3 audio. For example, this could be useful for mobile clients, which require a smaller resolution and a much lower bitrate than PC clients.

Now let's open a terminal on the server and start VLC. We want it to run as an RTSP server on port 5554. We also want to use the telnet interface to configure it and the telnet password will be 'videolan':

ubuntu% vlc -I telnet --telnet-password videolan --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:5554
output removed
[00000405] telnet interface: telnet interface started on interface 4212

That's it for the server. Now, let's configure it from a client using telnet:

client% telnet 192.168.0.2 4212
Trying 192.168.0.2...
Connected to 192.168.0.2.
Escape character is '^]'.
Password:
Welcome, Master
> load /home/julien/media/vlc_vod_config

gepebril
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gepebril » 05 Jul 2013 14:44

First of all, we need a machine to run the VLC server on. Here, it will be 192.168.0.2, an Ubuntu 8.04 machine with VLC 0.9.8a, ffmpeg SVN-r16245 (built from source) and x264 0.65.1057 (built from source).
Is this serious, why do you use these old versions without any possibility to get serious support?

Rita VLC
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rita VLC » 03 Dec 2013 10:50

I think after trying all the links, what I found was the best solution is having a server on Linux because its the most stable OS over long periods of runtime. Ensure all LAN has good wireless capabilities then stream videos over it to one's laptop.

PhredE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.8
Operating System: Win10Pro

Re: I want to set up Video on Demand

Postby PhredE » 24 Apr 2014 19:19

The thread's getting fairly long in the tooth, but has anyone derived any success from the posts here?
Hasselcloud's reply - a few above - looks informed, but could we not do the same in Windows?
Is it essentially the same method, with command-line instructions, admin rights(?), all from '\Program Files\VLC', or can it be done from within the GUI, using a couple of machines talking to each other? An old down-powered PC would seem ideal for the job of 'server'.
Anyone succeeded?

_fred_berg_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Window 10

Postby _fred_berg_ » 02 Aug 2016 15:40

"your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning"

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”