2.1.0 Profile Audio MP3 defaulting to RAW

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aethelwulf
New Cone
New Cone

2.1.0 Profile Audio MP3 defaulting to RAW

Postby Aethelwulf » 12 Oct 2013 03:26

VLC 2.1.0 Rincewind
For this installation, I let the installer remove the old but kept my preferences.
Log file path and file is still setup and enabled but blank. -- so no specific logging to provide at this time.

I was going to test save a podcast and just noticed that the Profile Audio - MP3 was defaulting to RAW.
At same time I noticed that RAW was flagged with a warning that Muxer not provided and could be missing.

This same issue happened in one of the 1.6 to 1.9x versions, sorry do not remember exact one.
This time I was able to generate the output but it was defaulted to .raw when choosing the Audio - MP3 profile.
I tried mpeg-1 and it did the default name change override as well.
In each case I generated a type .raw or a .mpeg1 file and both did play with no distortions.
I did try to manually include file name and extension but it converted to .raw or .mpeg1.
The problem in the earlier versions also resulted in distorted audio playback, at least for me.

What happened to the default that did allow .mp3 extension?

Thank you

JSLover
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Win7

Re: 2.1.0 Profile Audio MP3 defaulting to RAW

Postby JSLover » 12 Oct 2013 22:19

...Profile Audio - MP3 was defaulting to RAW.
...according to my 2.0.5, "Audio - MP3" does have the "RAW" container (& I'm pretty sure I didn't change it)...some formats don't need any container.
...but kept my preferences.
What happened to the default...
...you said you kept your prefs, so you weren't testing the "defaults". You'd have to temporarily reset to defaults (carefully) to verify if 2.1.0's defaults are actually messed up or not...or if it just inherited those settings from your prefs...but again "Audio - MP3" being "RAW" is not wrong.
"why the f*** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?" — jawed (2013) (about YouTube's new requirement of Google+)

youtube.lua — Play YouTube videos in VLC!
Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 --- 1/15/15, 7:19:19pm EST

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147
Sigh, the above can't be a link: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]."...so, I can't even link back to a post on this forum?
How about this: can long-term/trusted users be allowed links in sigs?

Aethelwulf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aethelwulf » 13 Oct 2013 21:12

These were only changes I had made to the default settings prior to installing this version:
location of log file.
No add-ons or modifications other than that one setting.
I never experienced problems with the default settings so I never mucked with them.

Just weird that the encapsulation is defaulting to .raw on the Encapsulation tab of Profile edition (properties for profile).
Previously if I had chosen Audio -MP3 and browsed to save path or just type ../../filename.mp3 it stayed ...mp3 now it is ...raw or ts or mpeg1, etc depending on ticked option.
Also a message appears at the bottom with RAW selected : This muxer is not provided by VLC: It could be missing.

On the positive side the audio produced is intact with no stuttering or pitch changes, it is clean.

The only thing I actually did to the saved file was change the file type from .raw to .mp3 and the file is OK.

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Oct 2013 12:50

This is fixed in 2.1.1
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

My2013
New Cone
New Cone

Postby My2013 » 04 Nov 2013 08:10

I have similar problem.
Just wanted to RIP a cd and I pick Audio -MP3 profile and it wants to put in an MP4 container. You can only see the container when you go save and see the extension.
After messing about, I simply can't make an mp3 file, so I can play in my mp4 player.

If I select Audio Profile, why isn't one of the "Encapsulation"(container) MP3? there is everything else.

thank
PS: Never mind this thing not even ripping.

glevinsh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby glevinsh » 05 Mar 2014 20:52

Looking for the same answer to question above: "If I select Audio Profile, why isn't one of the "Encapsulation"(container) MP3? there is everything else."

Latest Nightly build 64win Version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj5tO ... sp=sharing

Trying to convert Mp4 to Mp3 - just says steaming... Tried Raw & no response...
Tried straight convert to Audio (mp3) from Audio DISC to Mp3... comes up with .ts container & again no response.
uninstalled & reinstalled fresh with delete all preferences & cache... Nothing yet...
Tried other methods with no luck yet...

Says also for RAW (the method I saw Main Developer suggest to use) says: "This muxer is not provided by VLC: it could be missing"

NOTE: Still have latest production build for win32 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate - Could this cause the problem?

Thank you VERY much VLC TEAM :D !!!

brdmcdowell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brdmcdowell » 06 Mar 2014 18:21

I just converted MP4 to MP3 using the regular MP3 Profile... changing encapsulation to RAW. Yes, it says the muxer could be missing, but it converts the file to .raw Renamed converted file to .mp3 and played fine in WinAmp (using VLC v2.1.3)

davodavo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davodavo » 29 Jun 2014 04:18

While I can successfully convert the audio tracks from videos to MP3, the fact that the file name can only end in .raw is silly. Having to change the file extension in the command window is just an annoyance.

Even sillier: if I change the destination file extension manually to .mp3 prior to hitting the "Start" button, VLC crashes.

Running VLC 2.1.3 on Win7 pro 64 bit.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”