Help Spanning on 3 & 4 1600p screens 6400x2560 & 4800x2560

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dinglesniff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Help Spanning on 3 & 4 1600p screens 6400x2560 & 4800x2560

Postby dinglesniff » 26 Feb 2014 04:40

I moved from landscape 1600p (7680x1600) to Portrait mode 2560p, I am having issues since I want to span VLC onto all 4 of my monitors. I cannot get it in full screen mode since when I do I get this:
ImageImage

When I go Full screen mode I am stuck with this:

As you can see it cuts off some of the right and left but is flush with the top. Still looks great... but I want that 4th monitor :-)

This means my resolution is 6400 x 2560 when all 4 are on but due to surround only working with 3 I am at 4800x2560 with the other monitor set to accessory(I can drag things to all 4).

My question is that when I run full screen mode the movie is spanned on 3 monitors since my 4th is seen as an accessory. If I drag VLC across all 4 monitors it seems to work but then I have the bar on the top and start bar on the bottom. Is there a way I can setup a custom resolution at 6400x2560 or 4800x2560 and get VLC to span all my monitors.

I really want to make this work and would REALLY appreciate any of your help!

Using the Field of view calculator
http://www.wsgf.org/fovcalc.php
otal Resolution = 6400 by 2560 Pixels (inc bezel comp.)
Total pixels per frame = 16.38M (inc bezel comp.)
Surround aspect ratio = 5 : 2 or 2.5 (inc bezel comp.)

5:2 seems to be the best 5:8 makes no sense whatsoever obviously. Looks good what does everyone think? When I do 5:2 it leaves a small space at the far right in Wallpaper mode and I can see my background so I guess when I do movies I should put on a black background.

dinglesniff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Help Spanning on 3 & 4 1600p screens 6400x2560 & 4800x25

Postby dinglesniff » 27 Feb 2014 01:27

There should be a way to have it span on all 4 screens when I set the custom crop / aspect ratio to 640:256 it looks weird but 480:256 looks fine. 5:2 moves it to about 3 in" from the side but it still is not all 4 screens. Any ideas?

dinglesniff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Help Spanning on 3 & 4 1600p screens 6400x2560 & 4800x25

Postby dinglesniff » 01 Mar 2014 01:32

So I set it up this way:

1. Load video push W for wallpaper mode
2. Custom crop / aspect ratio of 65:25 & 64:25
- at 64:25 it had a 3" gap on the right monitor, moving to 65:25 you lose a small amount from the top and bottom but you can sort this out with changing the aspect ratio. Moving to Portrait from Landscape seems to add a lot more real estate (as expected) and eliminates squishing)

3. Main issue is that it is hard to remove the start bar. It would be beneficial to be able to set something like this up without going into Wall Paper mode.

4. One of the things I wish we did have was the ability to raise the frame limit. When you watch a movie with SVP Manager, it mimicas FULL HD at your monitors refresh rate. Typically 60FPS. It makes for a much more vivid and believable movie.

Edit:

I am curious what Makes VLC work with 4 screens while other players dont work. The main feature it's lacking is support for 60FPS like SPV. If it had this it would obliterate all other players. The main reason is that VLC is versatile enough to run on all 4. With that if VLC plans to expand for 60FPS I plan to pledge and support its continued development as I really should pay for something I have been using for such a long time. Here is a post I made on another forum with SPV for it's integration into players like VLC:

Full screen effect: in VLC (notice it is on all 4 screens)

This is how it looks with Potplayer or MPC when I move passed the 3 screens
If you notice there is the black bar on the bottom (seems to only show up in Potplayer.exe not mini version) + the distortion on the right screen where I try to extend it

Edit 2 I did some editing and checked to see if any change would happen if I activated all displays and not putting it into Surround. It seems that Media Player Classic and PotPlayer have difficulty processing the other screens unless windows sees them as (1) screen. For example on All Displays when you try to expand the player it blurs the video on the other screen. However, VLC did not have this issue. It would great if VLC took the versatility of players like Potplayer ( ability to move windows, frames, SPV, etc).

Would be nice to get it to work

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”