2nd monitor playback quality

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dmemphis
New Cone
New Cone

2nd monitor playback quality

Postby dmemphis » 09 Jan 2014 18:10

Looking for some wisdom and best practice here.
We need to configure a PC to use two screens, one for operating and one to play back video.
The video playback will ultimately need to convert to composite video.
We have attempted to playback MPG2 captured at DVD rate but have some flexibility for what we record.
I have experimented with a number of low end PCs and low end dual display video cards, and separate video cards.
We intend to use higher clock rate core2duo PCs, thinking these have enough horsepower.
I have had to resort to older versions of VLC to get VLC to expose the //display 2 option in directx mode.
I have managed to get full screen playback by hook or crook using various combinations of option settings.
Including having to force the video size to fill the 2nd bitmap rather than depending on the "full screen" checkbox.
What I have experienced so far, when I've gotten it to work at all, is that the playback quality on the
2nd display never seems as good as when played on the main/default //display1 display.
There is more motion tearing and often less smooth frame rate.
Why is this so? Is it a function of VLC or the video cards, directx? If VLC is there interest in improving this?
What should I be working with to get this configuration working right?
Can anyone site the properties of a the video card/driver that might help the situation?

dmemphis
New Cone
New Cone

Re: 2nd monitor playback quality

Postby dmemphis » 09 Jan 2014 19:45

Related to this, there are posts about the 2.1.2 version does not support directx selection of alternate monitors.
I see that this bug is tracked in the VLC bug tracker and may be fixed in 2.1.3.
Assuming this is the case, might I have any hope of better playback quality on Monitor 2 than in the
previous version?

How should I document what I believe is inferior playback to the main monitor? Screen captures? Video filming of the monitor?
Or is this so well known that it is not a surprise to the community?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 2nd monitor playback quality

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Feb 2014 13:18

2.1.3 allows this, yes.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”