Multiple Monitor not accessbile in 2.1.2

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dmemphis
New Cone
New Cone

Multiple Monitor not accessbile in 2.1.2

Postby dmemphis » 09 Jan 2014 16:40

As seen here.
http://imgur.com/zwTcjaD
nvidia card (geforce 9400... old, i know) configured clearly for 2 monitors.
VLC only shows "default" even directx mode.
Is this on a list to be fixed?
Thanks

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Multiple Monitor not accessbile in 2.1.2

Postby Ludrax » 09 Jan 2014 17:18

An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 13 Jan 2014 06:03

... Is this on a list to be fixed?
Good question! That's what I've been wondering. I'm about to see if I can figure that out...

This is really quite an aggravation- I'm surprised it doesn't seem to have bothered more people! Maybe I just erroneously assume that because all my systems are hooked up to multiple monitors/displays that everyone else must also have multiple outputs as well.
It's also surprising how long this issue has been around & gone unresolved. Just 3-4 days of being forced to use Windows & this VLC and I'm ready to switch to another media player (for Windows anyway...)
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Feb 2014 14:06

Fixed in 2.1.3
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 08 Jun 2014 19:17

I've seen that indeed the settings options have been restored in 2.1.3, but for some reason I am unable to get the settings to affect any change. The fullscreen video output always defaults to my primary monitor upon launch (yet the settings are still set to the behavior I prefer). This is true on a brand new installation of windows 7 x64 ultimate sp1 as well as a virgin install of VLC.
3 monitors being run by ATI HD5770 with latest drivers.

I can successfully move the video output using the windows hotkey [Win]+[Shift]+[Left|Right], however, the output reverts back to the primary display every time playback advances to the next playlist item.

I have seen other users who have posted confirmation that the issue was resolved for them with this update; so I'm at a loss as to why I'm having so much trouble with this feature now (can't remember any such issues with multiple monitors during the many years I've been using VLC).
Despite being a fresh OS & VLC install I have tried resetting the preferences, uninstalling & reinstalling VLC, using system restore to revert to a point before installing VLC to re-perform a fresh install. I don't know what else to try and I have no idea what could be causing this.

(I do have Direct X Direct Draw selected as the default output module, and I have selected the desired output display on that page of options but no love. I've tried changing the setting to other displays & other outputs with no effect. I've also opened the config file in a text editor just to look for anomalies.
I have also tried the 64bit version in addition to the standard 32bit one.)
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”