"Play" shortcuts with VLC 2.0.5

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
humpalumpa
New Cone
New Cone

"Play" shortcuts with VLC 2.0.5

Postby humpalumpa » 17 Jan 2013 20:16

I like to just drag'n'drop file shortcuts into VLC - not shortcuts to whole folders, but instead just to one video file. That always worked fine for me; but since I updated to 2.0.5 yesterday, it won't anymore - it tries to play the shortcut file and fails, instead of trying to play the file the shortcut links to. Before, I had no problem with this, and was doing it all the time - was the feature removed? Did I mess up some setting or something? Can I restore that behavior to the current version of the player?

EDIT: Similar to this, when I try to open a shortcut file through the "Open file..." menu option, the whole player just crashes. That shouldn't happen either, right?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: "Play" shortcuts with VLC 2.0.5

Postby Lotesdelere » 20 Jan 2013 09:00

Reset the preferences.
If it doesn't help then I'm afraid something went wrong on your system.

df30
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: "Play" shortcuts with VLC 2.0.5

Postby df30 » 28 Dec 2013 20:22

It's funny because playing shortcuts isn't supported by any version prior to 2.1.0, at least on my system (XP SP3 x32).
I can't use 2.1.0+ so I would like to have this function with 2.0.8.
As implied by this thread it should work already with 2.0.5? But how? I just doesn't work for me.
I have tested clean installs of the versions from 2.0.0 to 2.0.8 everytime with old settings deleted.
Is there a trick or a special setting in windows necessary for it to work?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”