Extracting still images - many zero byte files, Bug?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Toxidious
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Extracting still images - many zero byte files, Bug?

Postby Toxidious » 08 Nov 2012 19:10

Hi.

VLC media player 2.0.4 Twoflower

The problem is that when I run the command (specified further down) that makes VLC extract image frames from the video file, two things goes wrong:
  1. Many (about two thirds) png files is just empty, counting 0 bytes. I've tried to update Windows Explorer, and that verifies that the files is actually empty.
  2. The remaining png files is very low in number. If total number of frames should have being around 330 (15fps times movie length of 22 seconds) then the number of pngfiles that VLC makes counts 117, whereas 87 is empty.
The command I run to try extract all images from a video file:

Code: Select all

D:\Multimedia\Avspillere\VLC\vlc.exe 1.AVI --video-filter=scene --vout=dummy --start-time=0 --stop-time=5 --scene-ratio=1 --scene-prefix=img- --scene-path=H:\Mydocuments\kart-test\v\img\ vlc://quit
Media Information for that spesific file (1.avi):

Stream 0 Type: VIdeo Codec: Motion JPEG Video (MJPG) Resolution: 640x480 Frame rate: 15.000150 Decoded format: PLanar 4:2:2 YUV full scale Stream 1 Type: Audio Codec: PCM MU-LAW (mlaw) Channels: Mono Sample rate: 8000 Hz Bits per sample: 8
Is there a bug in VLC that makes frame extraction malfunction or is there any command (in bat file) I have to adjust in order to get it to work properly?

Ok, I have tried the following:

Removing the "--stop-time=5" makes VLC producing more files. 409 empty ones and 113 files that actually show the frames. But it's still most empty files.

I've tried with different values numbers after "--scene-ratio=" from 1 to 20. It seems that changing the number will change VLC's behaviour somewhere the following wrong states:
  • Few images (down to 17 when I used the number to 20) but none empty images
  • Many images, but most of the png images that VLC produce is empty.

Thanks

Toxidious
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Extracting still images - many zero byte files, Bug?

Postby Toxidious » 23 Nov 2013 18:40

Bug still persistent in version 2.1.1

For an MTS file, size 231 MB and last for 2 minutes and 31 seconds, VLC outputs 3741 png files to a specified directory. 3731 of this files are empty.

Command used:

D:\Multimedia\Video\VLC\vlc.exe 00025.MTS --video-filter=scene --vout=dummy --start-time=0 --scene-ratio=1 --scene-prefix=img- --scene-path=H:\Q\ vlc://quit
Also tried to add a high number for end tine, but that doesn't help either.

D:\Multimedia\Video\VLC\vlc.exe 00025.MTS --video-filter=scene --vout=dummy --start-time=0 --stop-time=10000 --scene-ratio=1 --scene-prefix=img- --scene-path=H:\Q\ vlc://quit

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”