SCCM Deployment with auto updates disabled

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rkoene
New Cone
New Cone

SCCM Deployment with auto updates disabled

Postby rkoene » 09 Sep 2013 14:33

Hi,

My current customer wants VLC player to use for all video files. Therefore VLC will be in the image. We use SCCM2012 to deploy the image and software. Now we would like to know how to configure the latest client to install silently (this already works) and have automatic updates disabled, for all users. This is needed to manage all applications and Application Versions.
We looked into the solution to change the config file and save the config file in the Default user folder. Unfortunately this isn't working.
Our clients run Windows 7 SP1 x64.

Please help?

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: SCCM Deployment with auto updates disabled

Postby Ludrax » 09 Sep 2013 17:40

and have automatic updates disabled, for all users. This is needed to manage all applications and Application Versions.
but they can use Help>Check For Updates :?:
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Sep 2013 11:17

You need to recompile to deactivate updates
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rkoene
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkoene » 10 Sep 2013 17:20

and have automatic updates disabled, for all users. This is needed to manage all applications and Application Versions.
but they can use Help>Check For Updates :?:
Sure... But how many users in a business environment click on Help - Update? Plus, users are not able to update, because they don't have any permissions. The point is, that I don't want to bother the users with a message "there is a new update available..."

rkoene
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkoene » 10 Sep 2013 17:23

Recompile? So if someone wants to use VLC in a business environment they have to recompile the source code to use it in a proper way? Maybe some improvement for next release?
I think it's strange that update is user based. Normally an update mechanism is based on a computer level (registry key or something).

IF I want to recompile, what to do?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Sep 2013 14:18

Recompile? So if someone wants to use VLC in a business environment they have to recompile the source code to use it in a proper way? Maybe some improvement for next release?
I think it's strange that update is user based. Normally an update mechanism is based on a computer level (registry key or something).

IF I want to recompile, what to do?
If business wants business-friendly VLC development, they can sponsor those development. I don't see why we should do that on our free time.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Ludrax » 13 Sep 2013 15:29

We looked into the solution to change the config file and save the config file in the Default user folder. Unfortunately this isn't working.
Our clients run Windows 7 SP1 x64.
VLC should look for config into its own dir at start
maybe c:\ProgramData\vlc worked in older versions
Sure... But how many users in a business environment click on Help - Update? Plus, users are not able to update, because they don't have any permissions. The point is, that I don't want to bother the users with a message "there is a new update available..."
maybe when such limited(or all with UAC) accounts are detected VLC should only display tray update notification
Notifications don't require immediate user action and users can freely ignore them.

Developers and designers often want to present their notifications in a way that users can't ignore. This goal completely undermines the primary benefit of notifications because it would break users' flow. If users are distracted by your notifications or feel obligated to read them, your notification design has failed.
so settings from ProgramData can have higher priority and other less important user can set in appdata?
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

brainy84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brainy84 » 18 Oct 2013 09:58

Code: Select all

If business wants business-friendly VLC development, they can sponsor those development. I don't see why we should do that on our free time.
Disabling auto-update by setting a config file i a user folder worked with older versions of vlc, so we just want to have the same option with 2.1.0?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Oct 2013 13:17

Code: Select all

Disabling auto-update by setting a config file i a user folder worked with older versions of vlc, so we just want to have the same option with 2.1.0?
This still works fine.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

spoon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spoon » 28 Oct 2013 23:57

Taken from last post on http://adriank.org/deployment-vlc-media-player-2-0-4/
I have been doing lots of testing with different versions of VLC trying to come up with some sort of solution for vlcrc file not to be ignored for new users. My observations are as follows:

1) In VLC versions < 2.1.0 and Windows XP SP3 vlcrc is working as expected i.e. vlc.exe fires up for the first time and creates C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc file and upon closing two extra files named vlc-qt-interface.ini and ml.xspf are being added. Now if you move the vlc directory from C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data next time vlc starts you don’t get “Privacy and Network Access Policy” and auto update popup window and in the background vlc folder will get copied from All Users to profile of your user opening vlc (when you close the application). This behavior means that C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc and vlc-qt-interface.ini are acting as global configuration files for VLC which is what we want.

2) In VLC versions < 2.1.0 and Windows 7 SP1 vlcrc is being ignored when placed in C:\ProgramData\vlc – this simply doesn’t not work like it used to in Windows XP SP3 using the same version – tried on 2.0.6 and couldn’t get to to work in Windows 7 – Windows XP works fine as per point 1 and you’re getting at least sort of global configuration file….

3) In VLC version 2.1.0 vlcrc is ignored no matter if you’re using Windows XP and Windows 7 so the behavior definitely changed with this new and latest release.
I think what we all want for vlcrc is to work as it should or did on Windows XP in versions < 2.1.0

In a nutshell:

vlc.exe starts and checks for vlcrc (or other configuration files like vlc-qt-interface.ini) in C:\ProgramData\vlc directory (7) or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\vlc (XP) and applies the settings if the file is found - if not then it falls back on per profile config located under C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\vlc (7) or C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\vlc

Sounds simple enough to me?

ekgcorp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ekgcorp » 19 Dec 2013 23:01

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”